Waterproof, breathable shell.

Nasty-G

Would like a waterproof, breathable, shell to wear under my strap vest. Really like the Orvis wet weather upland shell, but it's quite spendy. Any suggestions short of selling a kidney ? Thank you, thank you very much.

Orvis shell is spendy but it is a great shell. I use one for dog training and hunting. I tried a couple of less expensive shells and just was not satisfied.

I don't know anything about the Orvis jacket; I have an older gortex jacket that withstands rain very well.
I would recommend that you look for a jacket that has zipper openings in the armpits. This is critical when you are in warmer wet situations and active, it will vent alot of unnecessary heat and reduce sweating which can be a problem when you rest and it is colder.
Just my "2 bits"
Wolf

I use rain gear with sufficient sweaters et al underneath; light weight and sheds the briars. However, if it's raining hard...I'm inside playing cards!

Cabela's has a goretex lined field coat, but it's more coat than a shell. It has bellows pockets, shell slots, and a built in game bag.

lion country supply has a trainers jacket but not sure if it's water proof. Ugly Dog has a couple of jackets that might work depending on your price range.

In reality, the terms waterproof and breatheable are an oxymoron. Anything that is totaly watertproof is not going to breathe at all. Even the fabrics like Gortex, etc., while quite waterproof do not breathe like the manufacture would like you to believe. If you sweat a lot, like I do, using Gortx type products when you are walking just don't work well. I end up just as wet from the inside out.

Has anyone tried the McAlister Upland Hybrid Mock turtleneck or the same in a three quarter zip? They are advertised waterproof on the shoulders and sleeves but not the body. That might be fine for someone (me) who does not mind a light rain or mist but generally won't stay out is a steady rain. I have not found any sight that has even a customer review yet.

The Cabelas Upland Windshear pullover linked on the previous page works pretty well for a shell in cool, dry conditions. But it's limited to a middle-layer when it's wet or cold. I've got a couple of them.

So I'm gonna give this shell a try during late-season... ordered one today. Tried one on this morning in the store... but the on-line sale price is way cheaper. Windproof, and although the page description lacks the info - the left sleeve is embroidered 'Gore-Tex'.

Windproof, waterproof... and breathable? Guess I'll find out.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Upland-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Upland-Coats%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104665680/i/104028480/Cabelas-Upland-WindStopper174-Soft-Shell-Jacket/1398172.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1101007%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd725246&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd725246%3Bcat104028480

The Cabelas Upland Windshear pullover linked on the previous page works pretty well for a shell in cool, dry conditions. But it's limited to a middle-layer when it's wet or cold. I've got a couple of them.

So I'm gonna give this shell a try during late-season... ordered one today. Tried one on this morning in the store... but the on-line sale price is way cheaper. Windproof, and although the page description lacks the info - the left sleeve is embroidered 'Gore-Tex'.

Windproof, waterproof... and breathable? Guess I'll find out.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Upland-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Upland-Coats%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104665680/i/104028480/Cabelas-Upland-WindStopper174-Soft-Shell-Jacket/1398172.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1101007%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd725246&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd725246%3Bcat104028480

I bought these 3 years ago before they got expensive, I and my whole family use them with silk inner wear and a real wool commando sweater underneath. I have used it in 12" Snow, and 10 degree weather, if it gets warm you can shed layers, but in upland hunting weight, ability to move are premier, these are the real deal! Mine is blaze orange on top for safety. I would use a gaiter around the neck, or a turtle neck sweater, that is the weak link, but the zipper slide is great when it gets warm, and the toggles which snug it up, or release to ventilate.

McAlister Upland Jacket

TennesseeTraveler,

I've been looking at the McAlister Upland full zip jacket, but I think I'm starting to lean away from it.

Midway USA's website has the full zip and 1/4 zip product as well with a few reviews.

Drake Waterfowl and McAlister are partner companies so the upland full and 1/4 zip options look like they nearly the same as Drake's Eqwader series full and 1/4 zip jackets, except they have blaze orange. I've got one of the Drake Eqwader 1/4 zip jackets and I don't think I'd wear it pheasant hunting unless it was going to be a pretty cold and/or windy hunt. Overall, it just seems like it would be too warm for most of the pheasant season. I do like the way the Drake 1/4 zip jacket fits (pretty comfortable and the arm sleeves allow you to swing your shotgun pretty well), so if you're looking at the McAlister for late season hunting I bet it would be a pretty good option.

I think I'm still leaning towards the Orvis Upland Wet Weather Upland Shell in the tan/olive combination since I could wear it hunting as well as a daily jacket (helps me justify paying that high of a price for it!). Have you guys ever seen it go on sale?

Walt, in what way was the Orvis jacket confining (shoulder area)? Did it fit true to size or would you recommend ordering a size larger?

Last edited:
TennesseeTraveler,
Walt, in what way was the Orvis jacket confining (shoulder area)? Did it fit true to size or would you recommend ordering a size larger?

I have used the Orvis upland shell for a couple of years for dog training and hunting. 5"9", 160 lb ... usually wear a 41 or 42 suit jacket. With many jackets I find a medium a little snug and a large a bit too loose. With the Orvis shell, I find the medium is plenty roomy in warmer weather where I only have a shirt underneath the shell. In late season when I add layers ... usually an insulated vest of some sort ... on top of a baselayer and shirt the medium begins to get a bit snug. I go with a large then.

I've got a Cabela's pullover that is advertised as water proof and breathable that isn't Gortex. I can't remember the name but seems to use surface tension to achieve its claim. I've got a simple no insulation Gortex shell that I got from Sierra Trading Post decades ago. I have a Cabela's 3/4 length coat that is Gortex and uninsulated and a parka that is insulated.
Bottom line, they all lose their ability to shed water over time due to an accumulation of dirt and grime plugging the membranes pores or breaking surface tension even if you use special soaps. I've used my garments in Calif. and Alaska and believe me, it rains in both places. All at once in Calif or over time in Ak. Expect to have the garment's characteristics diminish over time no matter how much you pay. My experience with these things is wear layers and learn to adjust to being damp. Not really wet but damp.

I'm watching this thread with interest because I'm looking for that perfect shell for under a strap vest. I have the $60 Cabela's pullover and it's not bad. I wish it had chest pockets...

The Orvis looks nice, but I won't dump $225 plus shipping. Orvis has it's clientele and I'm not among them. They're just too expensive, period.

I wish the newer zip-front shell from Cabelas had a few reviews (none so far). It has the full zip which I like and the chest pockets. The online sale makes it almost reasonable.

There are some nice "shell" type jackets made by Drake in the Mack's Prairie Wings catalog, and I like that they are not orange. I can always wear an orange vest and hat.

I can wear nothing but the shell and vest most of the season here. Most of the terrain I work can be on severe slopes and one ends up working up quite a sweat. I am going to keep looking. If anyone is interested, there are some McAlister hybrid upland full zip jackets on eBay for $40 and shipping. I think they are all mediums. That leaves me out. If they were large, I would probably give one a shot. $40 is competitive.

Back