Wanted - started Lab

Matt D

I have a buddy looking for a started lab. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

David0311

I have a buddy looking for a started lab. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Matt I"m afraid your going to have to be a little more specific on what your buddy is looking for.

The term started lab can mean many different things --example is he looking for a puppy with basis obedience--on a little older that is steady?doing singles-?or maybe doubles?--forced?--swimby?started on hand signals--any many other variables--

Also does your buddy haves a price point--or any idea of what a well bred -healthy dog with all clearances is going to cost?

Where is your friend located?

There are people here that may be able to help but more information is needed also may want to look at [The retriever training forum} but you may find a little or a lot of sticker shock there

Regards :cheers:

My fault for not giving many details. We are located in OH but he is willing to travel for pick up. He is looking for a hunting lab. Not interested in field trials and doing quadruple blind to the moon and back retrieves. Has two younger children so that is important also and in reality like most of us the dog will spend more time as a family member than hunting but he is wanting a dog that is or will be ready to hunt this fall. Good basic obedience and hunting skills would be the level he is interested in. Understands what the cost is going to be for that level for sure. Isn't expecting a top fully trained trial candidate for 1k but also not gonna pay 5K for a 5 month old obedience trained only dog.

Sorry for lack of clarity originally and appreciate any leads someone can share.

David0311

Matt--

I believe that he may be better off at that low price point he would be better off looking for a local retriever club--getting to know them and seeing what might be available--in my experience there is no way he will find a high quality started dog for $1500-$3000--that's what good quality puppies sell for-much less for a started dog

I wish him luck-and hope I'm proven wrong--good luck

A started dog at the level you describe will cost about $4000. That will get you a dog that is obedience trained, force fetched, collar conditioned, and started on simple marks. Usually around the age of 10 months to a year old. I would suggest you visit this website http://www.tbirdlabs.com/ Mike specializes in started dogs for upland and waterfowl hunting. His dogs are well bred. You can see pics of the started dogs he sold last fall. But as David said, your going to have to spend some money.

You can go to the retriever forum and find lots of started dogs. They are generally for sale because there is something about the dog that the owner doesn't like. So they try and re-coop some money and start all over with another puppy. My advise, is don't buy one from that forum. I think TBird labs will have what you want but again, your going to have to spend a little.

Last edited:
A started dog at the level you describe will cost about $4000. That will get you a dog that is obedience trained, force fetched, collar conditioned, and started on simple marks. Usually around the age of 10 months to a year old. I would suggest you visit this website http://www.tbirdlabs.com/ Mike specializes in started dogs for upland and waterfowl hunting. His dogs are well bred. You can see pics of the started dogs he sold last fall. But as David said, your going to have to spend some money.

You can go to the retriever forum and find lots of started dogs. They are generally for sale because there is something about the dog that the owner doesn't like. So they try and re-coop some money and start all over with another puppy. My advise, is don't buy one from that forum. I think TBird labs will have what you want but again, your going to have to spend a little.

This is pretty darn accurate. The only thing i might add is that sometimes a FT prospect just will not have what it takes to be a competitive All Age dog, but could be one hell of a meat dog. These dogs can be a steal but are going to be much better trained than "started" and also much more expensive (8-10K).

I have a 9 month old male, very nice pedigree, FF, collar Conditioned, solid obedience, marks great, three handed casting started, nice line manners, and ran first double last Saturday. If I put him up for sale for $4000 I'd have a line around the block.
PS I'd never sell him, when I buy a dog they are with me till the end, Skilled or not.

Back