Waiting for all the pics and brags from the grouse whisperers....

retrvrman

So I know we will soon see all the pics from the "grouse whisperers" on the forum :eek::eek::rolleyes:.....I probably won't get a chance to head out until the week after next....found a spot during elk season...we shall see.

Wondering if Chad is still doing the grouse camp thing? :confused:;)

Well here is good luck to everyone out there today dove hunting and grouse hunting....heading out Thursday with my son and best friend...figure I would go out after all the idiot sticks are gone from opening day.

Greg

Had a slow opener for grouse but managed two yesterday morning between my buddy and I. I'll be out more this week and hopefully and can figure out how to post pictures on here again. Good luck everyone!

I missed opener yesterday as I had to sight in for my WY antelope tag that starts next week (plus, you know, actual work, which gets in the way of Tuesday openers)

Headed with the family to the Sangre's this weekend and will hunt casually down there. Won't hit our honey holes until later in the month.

Hatch looks like it was good this year from birds/family groups that I saw on the roads this summer.

So I know we will soon see all the pics from the "grouse whisperers" on the forum :eek::eek::rolleyes:.....I probably won't get a chance to head out until the week after next....found a spot during elk season...we shall see.

Wondering if Chad is still doing the grouse camp thing? :confused:;)

Well here is good luck to everyone out there today dove hunting and grouse hunting....heading out Thursday with my son and best friend...figure I would go out after all the idiot sticks are gone from opening day.

Greg

Greg, may not get out but for a day deal. Having another procedure done on the 25th for my darn back. I will have some intell though. I might just go look around lightly in my travels. Got to get out of the house a bit.:(

Just got home from hunting blues on the west slope. Had a great time watching the dogs work blues in the sage brush and even managed to kill quite a few birds over points. The hatch looks about average with most coveys going 4-6 birds in the area we were in. There were more coveys than we would normally run into making me believe there was good carry over from last season. If you like hunting with pointing dogs early season is there time to shine while the birds are holding tight in cover you can actually see your dogs in. Good luck to everyone this weekend getting out!

Several friends have been doing good as well in different parts of the state!!:thumbsup:

Several friends have been doing good as well in different parts of the state!!:thumbsup:

Nice to hear.....Chad, sorry to hear about your back :(

I am going to try and get out there this weekend or next weekend for blues. However, I don't have my hopes up that's for sure.....I guess I haven't paid my blues dues :)D:D enough....

Ready for elk season next month and then cockbirds!!!

Greg

No Bragging - Humbled

By no means am I bragging. We did manage to take three birds but we worked for them. My son and I have been hunting Grouse for a couple of years and we just cannot nail down the areas for the Brooding Flocks that you hear about. We hunt the sage/oak brush in and around Aspen groves trying to catch the young ones fattening up on hoppers. Each and every time.....Noth'in. We move up into higher ground and are rarely skunked by picking up a male or two. We hunted for 3 days, ran into 5 birds, and took three. You can see my pup to the left is wiped out after 3 days of hard hunting. I am not asking for anyone's Honey Hole...but if someone could clearly point out an area so, that in the future we know exactly what to scout for... that would be fabulous! Or if someone wouldn't mind the company my son and I are always looking to hit the woods with our pups. I guess I shouldn't be so hard on ourselves our hunt this weekend got cut short due to circumstances out of our control.... but that's a story for a whole other thread.

Good to see that some of you are finding birds. I have only tried hunting them 1-2 and never saw a thing. Keep up the good work.

Not grouse but one of colorado's upland birds!

I'm fairly new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself and figure out how to upload photos at the same time. Anyway my name is Robert and here is a pic of today's after work chukar hunt with "Ford" the 1.5 year old gsp!

Welcome QB!! I put my photo's in Photobucket. Once they are there, I click on the photo I want and it enlarges. Then off to the side there are 3 options to choose from. I use the direct link and click that and it says copied. Then I Come on UPH and click the postcard with the mountains and stamp on it above where I am writing right now! Then hit control V or Apple V and then hit preview or submit. This should show your photo without opening a link. Good luck and nice Dog and Chukar!!!:10sign:

Thanks! Looks like everyone is on the other side of the hill ( eastern co.) and much closer to bird country than myself! The grouse are a little different this year I have found they are not in their normal hangouts? Anyone else notice that?

My favorite grouse spot hasn't been very predictable this year. The elevation and habitat there is on the uphill side of good brood rearing habitat. Other spots I've hunted on the west slope the majority of our birds were shot about as low in elevation as grouse would exist in my mind. Mostly grass, sage and mixed shrubs with aspen groves nearby but not in large concentrations. We have found a few birds in the higher elevation meadows this year but have had a lot more action down lower. I wish it was easier to post pictures on here...

I've not had an opportunity to hunt high elevation yet, I've been sneaking in after work hunts and busy on the weekend! However I have a couple spots I want to try both high and lower than normal? We'll see what happens. I will have a little more time after my wedding reception, the last few weeks I have been trying to get the place cleaned up for the party. I do however have to go cut some wood for the pit roast maybe sneak in a grouse hunt:cheers:

Killed my first Blues (dusky) last year in Wyoming. Really fun hunting. Im jealous of you guys having them so close. Good luck!

.... I will have a little more time after my wedding reception, ...

I couldn't help but see the humor in that. A real bird hunter! Forget the honeymoon. "Sorry darlin'... I's got a date with some birds!" The new wife, in bed, crying: "But honey! I...I..." Hunter turns to dog: "Rambo...go kiss her goodbye." :)

Not quite the case for me sddoglover!:) She gets mad when she doesn't get to go!

By the looks of that picture. You might be the one getting mad when you don't get to go. :)
Hope you took it well. Your statement left much humorous fiction to expand into.

Back