vizslas and birds

bauerline

I took the dogs running again today and brought the camera along as well. Nittany and Blitz had some points in the switch grass but we couldn't produce a bird. After many relocations a hen flushed about 100 yards away from the first point. I was able to get a picture of the flushing bird.
IMG_0278.jpg

I did see a rooser about a half mile away about a week ago.

Later Nittany and Blitz found a bird in some briars and I got a picture of a quail flushing.
IMG_0293.jpg

It is a better picture than I got before of a quail. Nittany also found a quail in the woods before we left.
IMG_0296.jpg

And then Blitz came in to back Nittany's point.
IMG_0299.jpg

This quail ran about 15 yards before flushing and flying through the trees. It was a nice sight to see.

I did see some woodcock in the area in the fall but I did not find any since. Maybe the will make a return soon.

Look's like your getting pretty good with your "wife's" camera! Do you think the pheasant are from the ones that escaped from you? How long have those quail been out of the Johnny House?

Your dogs are sure getting plenty of work, that's great!

There is no doubt that they are the pheasants that the club raised. They were either released in September or escaped in October. The quail have been out for several weeks. There are 2 male quail that refuse to go back into the JH but they are avoiding hawks and other critters around. I'll be letting all the quail go sometime in March and see how long they can survive. Since they've done so well this year I hope they can make it for a while. There is enough cover and water for them. With not having much time to do any hunts the past few months it has been nice to be able to run the dogs on these birds when I can. A johnny house works out real nice for dog work when the land is available.

Yep! nice pics and good work!:thumbsup:

Back