Visit back to NC Kansas

Wanted to share with everyone for the first time about a hunt myself and 3 other buddies came back from last weekend. Myself and one of those buddies have been wearing ourselves and our dogs out for a couple years in north central KS. We feel very blessed to have come across a land owner 3 years ago who has welcomed us back each year. It is hard to summarize in words the enjoyment of the pursuit, watching dogs have shining moments and learning new things about habitat we experience each year out there. Without a decent population of birds it makes it difficult to build those fond memories. For that, thank you Kansas!

This year was my 4th year hunting in Kansas, and like several people have said, the quail have made a good comeback. Hunting in southern Indiana since the early 90s, the quail numbers we saw were most impressive. The exciting part is I have hunted the same general area for 3 years now and have seen the quail rebound more each year.

We hunted 3 days and saw 4 to 5 extremely healthy coveys and probably 40 to 50 pheasants each day. The coveys we saw were likely multiple groups as most were 30+ birds. I will say knowing habitat is key, as we hunted a couple hours in areas only to see a nervous pheasant or two. It is also hard to figure out how to adjust your hunting when you get a weather change the very next day. Keys to our success this year was milo with cover(duh) and something new we learned was that birds seem to like fire weed. This is found in pastures and some crop field edges. It did not always produce, but we always checked it out.

Thanks to the bread basket of America and to the folks posting on this forum on a regular basis. The reports of moisture, wheat conditions and harvest through the summer and fall are always exciting to read. I will try to get some pics posted from our hunt. They are not on my tablet.

Found the majority of our birds in milo stubble or cover near milo. We hunted a private milo field , maybe 5-6 acres (really small) that had not been sprayed. Very weedy and ragged , we moved 8-10 roosters out of that one piece. Probably the single best turn I've had in KS. Was in NC. Sounds like you had a great hunt too , wish I were back out there.

Here are some pics from our trip. First is me and my 8 yrld setter, second is me and my brother-in-law, and the third is one of most beautiful parts of being in KS.

Back