Very disapointed in Sportsman!!!!!

ford

To start off with I am not against road hunting at all, I par take sometimes. That being said I had 3 horrible experiences this weekend with road hunters.

The first one was the worst, some family and I wer driving back to the house after an awesome hunt, and as we come over a little hump in the road the vehicle traveling the opposite direction slams on the brakes and a guy jumps out and flushes 3 birds out of the ditch and low and behold the rooster flies across the road and the jack ass shoots at the bird and ended up shooting holes in my radiator and cracking my windshield. I stopped and asked what the hell he was thinking and he had some explicit words for me and told me to mind my own business. With a leaking radiator and 18 miles to go i left so we would make it home. Later the sheriff found him and he is now paying for the repairs.

The other 2 wer both with people tresspassing and I was threatened by a gun pointing at me by both parties. I'm not sure what people are thinking and very dissapointed in the sportsman i had experiences with this past weekend, it really makes me think if i should just plow under all my habitat and just farm it all, after years and years of countless hours,more dollars than I wish to think of invested.

That is horrible. I am a non resident SD hunter for years. I would hate to think those jackass's were non residents

Resident or non resident, it doesn't matter. Those three situations should never happen. All three parties should have had the law called on them. We as other sportsmen and members of this country need to let it be known that this kind of behavior and law breaking will not be stood for. The trespass penalties should be higher than they are and we need to stop being so leinient on people. I get it if you make a mistake but if you knowingly break the hunting and trespassing laws you need to not be allowed to ever hunt in SD again. Just my opinion. It may be harsh but I despise these people ruining things for the honest majority of us.

Ford - so sorry to hear of your terrible encounter. It is very frustrating for sure and I hate to hear of hunters doing things like this. I manage hunting permission on a large amount of acres her in OH for the family I work for. I know the feeling of wanting to just say screw it because of people and how they treat your land and the resources. I can tell you though no matter how frustrating it is it is worth it in the long run even if some people are complete idiots and take advantage of your work. Also as a guy heading to SD in a few weeks let me say I appreciate the effort you and all the other land owners put in to managing the land and the resources. I know it is not easy but it is important.

I hope this is your last run in with unlawful hunters for quite a while!

Ford - also very sorry to hear of these inexcusable incidents! I can imagine someone not controlling their mind, and then their shotgun, and doing as you described; they should be both humiliated and apologetic; that response deserves prosecution & complete loss of hunting privileges
I can't imagine anyone pointing a gun at me! none of these incidents represent sportsmen! I only hope you were able to report their license plate numbers and let due process take over; they have no business being allowed the privilege of the wonderful outdoor experiences us Sportsmen Cherish.

Just remember that most all of us would always stop to help you, or anyone, if someone was in a ditch, stuck in a drift, or some other situation, foreging the last hour of hunting, etc., to help our fellow friends. my son and I have helped many SD residents, including farmers, dig out during our winter hunt.
Never wanted, expected, or received anything, but a heartfelt thanks. That is who we sportsmen are. I hope you can overcome these terrible experiences.

I refuse to call those "hunters".

A hunter is ethical and follows the law. A hunter is safe and considerate of the landowner, other hunters and non-hunters.

Those were slobs.

Calling them hunters is a smear against those of us who are hunters.

Mike C.

Ford: At least you did not call them hunters in your post, they are thugs and shooters that have no respect for anyone or anything, I can only hope that you were driving a vehicle that had a radiator that was no longer in production and a special one had to be ordered and it was going to be very expensive.

I very rarely call anyone stupid, but I think these yahoos earned it.

Ford, please don't lump sportsman in with these renegades. As stated before I'm an out-of-stater who appreciates your efforts, and I would hope that I have enough dignity to put human life ahead of an animals. Yes, even my adorned GSP is still just an animal.

Oh, but they were hunters, very careless road hunters and trespassing "slob hunters"! They were definitely not sportsman.

Coming from PA, some how road hunting doesn't appeal to me. Not to say I may not try it someday while hunting in SD on less traveled roads.

Are you saying that when you asked them what they were doing on your land, they drew down on you? That is aggravated assault in SD and they should be charged accordingly. It seems like, more and more, when people know they are wrong, they double-down on their idiocy. Kind of like a certain Presidential candidate.

Perhaps a Go Pro camera is in your future as that kind of crap needs to be documented and the felons charged. You could dash mount it, then clip it onto a mount on your overalls when you leave the truck.

Sorry you had to experience that, my position on right-of- way hunting is well-known on this site, but 100% on your side on this one.

GoPro is what I was going to suggest. It has gotten me out of 2 tickets from state troopers here in Missouri. One was failure to stop. One was a C and I that would have cost me 4 points. One officer showed up to court, he legit didn't know he was wrong till he saw the film. The other didnt show, and it got thrown out. And as far as guys drawing down on me, you're a better man than me. I'm way too hot headed and I probably would have gotten shot myself! Especially if someone shot my truck! If my family was with me though, I probably would have done what you did. Hopefully...

Last edited:
DAMM I guess I'm going to start carrying an exposed large cal. auto when out and about checking on the land---I really thought I had left that behind when I came back home to South Dakota. :( SOOO SAD

No doubt. every good citizen should be armed to the teeth these days. A few years ago two good friends were riding dirt bikes on the National Forest behind my house when they were held at gunpoint by a lunatic named Steve Kerrigan who stepped in front of them on the trail, holding a badge in one hand and gun in the other. Put them on their knees and alternated putting the gun right on their temples while screaming that they had "terrorized" his wife "last weekend". One guy was 65 at the time and not even in the State the prior weekend. Long story short the clown was an ex- Secret Service agent demoted to doing background checks at the local Air Force Base. Feds sent two FBI guys from DC overnight to depose my buddies, the guy was fired and lost his pension, etc. The FBI guys advice to my friends? Never, ever go in the woods unarmed and never stop for someone with a gun, badge be damned. He said they should have tucked in tight and made a run for it as it would be less likely you would be shot to death than when on your knees at point blank.

The other 2 wer both with people tresspassing and I was threatened by a gun pointing at me by both parties.

I'm I reading this right; Are you saying you had two separate occasions where two separate parties pointed guns at you (not including the car incident)?

I have never had the opportunity to hunt in SD & likely never will, but I am both shocked & sorry that you were subjected to those experiences at the hands of fools. I am relieved that no one was hurt and hope the authorities slap the offenders with some serious jail time for their transgressions.

I don't know:confused:. I might be reading into this wrong. Something seems off to me. That's a lot of "gun-slinging" action going on there. Sounds more like a certain part of Chicago than it does pheasant country.

The season wasn't open to non resident hunters when these incidents occurred so... must have been SD residents feuding!

Can't imagine shooting when another car is in plain sight...

road hunter

By-the-way, did he get the pheasant? Ha! Also, something is rotten here. Three separate road hunter incidents on one day, don't think so!!

Ford, those are some bad instances that could have ended up much worse. Good on you for keeping your wits about you. Unfortunately, this "behavior" is becoming more and more prevalent with each passing year it seems. Not only in the hunting fields, but life in general. :mad:

"The season wasn't open to non resident hunters when these incidents occurred so... must have been SD residents feuding!"
If I'm comprehending the story correctly, the incidents happened this past weekend when the season opened to all. Not that this really matters a bunch as I've seen both residents and non-residents of many bird hunting states act accordingly. Where one resides doesn't dictate ones behavior while hunting.

From us sportsmen, we appreciate your efforts with the habitat Ford!:thumbsup:

Back