Upland Boots

beezleydogs

I know this is like asking which gun is better Browing or Beretta....but anyone care to recommend a particular brand/model of upland hunting boots you've had success with? I am looking to get a new pair of boots well before the season gets rolling to break them in a bit. I need boots that are capable through all types of terrain because I will probably use these for chukar hunting too. Anyway, thanks for any input.

You are right this is like Chevy and Ford debate. But I like the white wedge sole boots sold at Sears. They imitate the Irish Setter style boot. But they last well and are comfortable for me.---Bob

It depends on how much walking you do and how heavy of a boot/ sole that you like. I prefer Whites, they have the most rigid sole and support. They do great on my 10-15 mi power hunts and handle the breaks with steep slopes and loose rock, with the heel to dig in on a side hill. The but is their price and weight. I think they're about 5-6 lbs for the pair and they're not waterproof (something I prefer, I hate walking on my tip toes over rocks to ford a creek, just wear wool socks and keep moving). They're also about $400. For a lighter cheaper boot, I've had a pair of all leather georgias that I bought about 6 or 7 years ago to work in the winter around concrete. Somehow they're still waterproof and intact. I don't work construction any more, but still do a couple pours a year and some general construction and have never even greased them. They just don't have a stiff enough shank for me.

If it's wet I wear Muck Boots. Muck Boots are very comfortable, but very soft and flexible sole. This caused me some foot trouble this year, so I now have custom orthotics in them. I'm looking at a product from a company called Aigle who just opened a store here in Halifax. I think they're a French company. They make a rubber boot called Parcours Enduro that look very good. Nearly knee-high and guaranteed for life. Leather lined with good support.
There are several places where I now where hip boots to allow me to cross drainage ditches and a small river to get to place where other hunters can't/won't go.
If it's cold I wear Irish Setter Elk Trackers (waterproof as well but too hot for most hunts - usually worn on deer hunts only and then for December pheasant and Jan/Feb rabbit hunts in the snow). I need to find something lighter and cooler in a leather boot to complete my footwear choices for relatively dry upland hunts in warm weather, but have yet to find anything suitable.

muchas gracias

Thanks for the input. I have been looking at the Whites, and quite frankly the ony draw back I can see is the cost...if they last then its probably worth it. I tell you, after last year hunting in -5 to -10 through the last part of the season I really liked my Sorels pac boots, they did pretty good in the snow and cold. But for the early season I just used a pir of Vasque hiking boots and they were serviceable, but just didnt seem super great for the long haul. Thanks again folks.

I concur on the Whites. Being a former USFS Hotshot and putting countless miles on three different pairs, I can say without bias that they are by far and away the finest boots on the planet (Nicks and Drews are about the same quality and price.) You will not be dissapointed and the fact that they are rebuildable for a fraction of the purchase price makes them even more attractive. While their weight is heavier than most, their comfort, protection, and incredible durability will make a lifetime wearer out of you.

Back