Updated South Dakota Report

Ok, so here is my most recent report from S.D. I'm providing this mostly for the folks that don't hunt S.D on a regular basis and are trying to figure out if they should come or not this year. I am very lucky and blessed, I get to hunt private ground exclusively and some of the best pheasant habitat in the state, so I would suspect that public ground from what I witnessed and am receiving as reports is going to be even worse!!!! Received a phone call last evening from my buddy where we hunt, they walked 5 separate pieces of land scouting for deer, there were "ZERO" pheasants on 3 pieces and very few were witnessed on the other two. I know exactly where they were and these are traditionally the best of the best pieces that we run with premium habitat, common sight would be several 100 birds out of each. They are not seeing any birds on the road in the evening or morning. It sounds like the few birds that did survive in some areas were hit by a major hail storm and that wiped out the few birds that were around. I am sharing this insight so guys can make informed decisions, and if you are going to spend the money come with your eyes wide open, bring an extra bottle of your favorite cocktail and be prepared for long days, sore feet and tired dogs.

Last edited:
Ok, so here is my most recent report from S.D. I'm providing this mostly for the folks that don't hunt S.D on a regular basis and are trying to figure out if they should come or not this year. I am very lucky and blessed, I get to hunt private ground exclusively and some of the best pheasant habitat in the state, so I would suspect that public ground from what I witnessed and am receiving as reports is going to be even worse!!!! Received a phone call last evening from my buddy where we hunt, they walked 5 separate pieces of land scouting for deer, there were "ZERO" pheasants on 3 pieces and very few were witnessed on the other two. I know exactly where they were and these are traditionally the best of the best pieces that we run with premium habitat, common sight would be several 100 birds out of each. They are not seeing any birds on the road in the evening or morning. It sounds like the few birds that did survive in some areas were hit by a major hail storm and that wiped out the few birds that were around. I am sharing this insight so guys can make informed decisions, and if you are going to spend the money come with your eyes wide open, bring an extra bottle of your favorite cocktail and be prepared for long days, sore feet and tired dogs.

Shooter, please provide a general location. While these updates are great without some local they are worthless because this is clearly not the case across the whole state. To suggest someone stay home when they could go to a place that does have birds would be malicious.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my intent. No where did I tell people to stay home!!! I'm just laying it out there so folks do their homework, come prepared and have an open mind.

West River and in the drought area I have good reports from those that have several ponds and creeks on farm. Yes the birds are down compared to last year but still have decent numbers. The report that started this thread is doom and gloom and still no location. Worthless report.

Grouse hunting in Pierre area the last week would suggest pheasant numbers are way way down. Just are not seeing any pheasants mixed in at all in areas where they normally are. SAD

My dad stayed in Redfield area talking to locals and took a drive NW out 212 all the way to Spearfish. In general the bird numbers are corresponding to the overall drought map on the SDGFP site. The numbers dropped out about Faulkton where there was both less rain and more grassland. However close to the River and feeder streams around Mobridge, the birds picked up again where they had moisture despite the lack of rain in the area. Within drought areas there were short rainfalls in pockets that hit at just the right time for hatching so there are localized birds in good numbers. In the rest of the spots where he didn't see birds like he normally does, the locals are saying that the birds are there but are all smart old birds that made it through the winter. They aren't all over the roads and ditches like the hatched birds, nor are they easy to flush from cover without dummies to give them away.

I think many hunters are going to be OK if they can make long moves to spots that have birds and hunt them with late season tactics like you would for educated birds.

Edit: This was Sat/Sun this week, 9/23, 24.

Back