Unexpected bonus bird

I got a Hun in Clark years back. 15 years ago? Only covey Ive ever seen in SD. Out of picked corn
40 years ago we'd see Huns practically every time out pheasant hunting. I haven't so much as seen one in many years. Probably been at least 20 or more since I've shot one. I blame agricultural practices in the area. Far less alfalfa, oats, & other light cover than there used to be. Now it's either dirt (crop fields are cleaner than clean), thick CRP, or cattails, none of which do Huns a lick of good.

We put up a group of 10 sharpies I believe during our Dec trip. I usually bump a great each year in different areas. First thought is always hen....lol. I have yet to put up any huns in SD would love to.

Opening weekend we were walking an uncut sunflower field. Had a chicken playing leap frog in front of me but couldn’t get a shot. Almost across the field dad hollers at me, look north and a flock is flying right at us from a grass patch. Dad knocked down one and my buddy hit another. Get to end of field to look at them and one is a sharpie and one is a chicken. I’d never seen a Sharptail before, so is it common for the two birds to be flying in the same flock?

Opening weekend we were walking an uncut sunflower field. Had a chicken playing leap frog in front of me but couldn’t get a shot. Almost across the field dad hollers at me, look north and a flock is flying right at us from a grass patch. Dad knocked down one and my buddy hit another. Get to end of field to look at them and one is a sharpie and one is a chicken. I’d never seen a Sharptail before, so is it common for the two birds to be flying in the same flock?
I don’t know,but a friend of mine is an expert and he looked at a pic of my bird today because he thought it could be a hybrid between the two…it isn’t…it is a female.

Maybe one is trans-species...I know when I used to hunt them in Nebraska we would commonly flush chickens in the same area as sharpies so they could intermingle and flush together. Could be a simple fact of safety in numbers during this time of year.

Back