Truck/Van Rental

FlyLow

I will be traveling from Utah in December with my wife and son and wanted to get your opinions. I am not sure what to expect as far as weather is concerned and cannot decide between renting a Mini-Van or Pickup Truck to hunt out of. I have both a dog box as well as kennels if needed. I am leaning towards the truck but what would your preference be? I am hoping to make the trip as smooth as possible, as it will be my last hunt with my son before he heads off to join the Navy!

Thanks for any help!

I would recommend the truck. Those side roads can get sticky muddy and would bode well for van. Best of luck with your trip.

Mini van for sure....lots of thought here. You look cooler in a truck. But since you called it a pickup truck, then maybe a mini van is your best bet. Dogs will stay more comfortable in the mini van. Both will be 2wd from rental, both with highway tires. I say to hell with looking cool and go with dog comfort. Just make sure you get XM radio in either so you have something to listen to when you get stuck.

Just messin with ya, depending on what part of the state you are in, some roads will stick a 4wd way back into the back 40, other parts of the state you could drive a caddy without even slipping.

Best of luck. Enjoy your time in the outdoors with your son. Time moves faster the older you get.

K2

Enterprise rents 4x4 trucks but I think most rental agreements say no pets....

I rent trucks from enterprise about 25 weeks a year for business

How about an SUV? The dirt roads can get pretty slick and rutted up, I wouldn't go out without 4wd. Pickup with a campershell is the best, but I doubt you'll find a rental. Remember if you leave a dog in a vehicle for too long to crack a window.

If the roads are not wet, then they are dusty. Ever thing in the back of an open truck bed will be covered in dust. Big SUV that you can fit dog crates in or the mini van. Good luck.

Flylow,
Are you returning to NW or going to try somewhere else? NW roads can get quite sporty when wet. 4x4 would be a must IMHO..

I will be trying a bit further East this time if we end up going. I won't lie though... I am a bit hesitant to return after reading all of the comments about what people think about Non-Resident hunters. I have actually started looking into different hunts in other areas of the country but I am sure that is they way people feel no matter where you go.

If I do end up going, I will make sure that the truck or suv is 4x4. Here in Utah it is rare to find anything that is 2 wheel drive... especially this time of year. We just received 5" of snow last night with more to come today and tomorrow.

I’m from Texas, and my dad and I hunted Kansas for the first time this year. We hunted all over Sherman, Wallace, and Thomas counties the week of November 12-16. We hunted on Wednesday and Thursday of that week, all on WIHA’s, and the only other hunters we saw (2 separate groups) were at the hotel and restaurants. They were all out of staters too. While hunting, we never saw anyone else hunting. It was like we had the whole place to ourselves! I’m sure this was due to hunting during the week, but that’s the exact reason we went when we did.

The locals we talked to at convenience stores, restaurants, and at the hotel were all friendly and wanted to know where we were from and how the hunting was going. There was a Kansas resident that was also staying at our motel that was building a new barn on a local farmers place. He gave me the farmer’s phone number, and the farmer told us we were welcome to hunt his private land.

I have nothing but positive things to say about Kansas, the residents of the state, and our experience while there.

We did get a few birds, but we dang sure put in the miles to get them. I look at it like this, it’s called hunting not killing, and there’s a reason for that.

I’m sure Kansas, like any other state, has it’s fair share of jack wagons, but we sure didn’t run into any.

I say go, hunt, meet the locals, be a gentleman, and enjoy the countless acres of opportunity that exist in Kansas. Enjoy time with your family and make memories to last a lifetime.

If you want any other information, feel free to send me a private message and I’ll help you out as much as I can.

I will be trying a bit further East this time if we end up going. I won't lie though... I am a bit hesitant to return after reading all of the comments about what people think about Non-Resident hunters. I have actually started looking into different hunts in other areas of the country but I am sure that is they way people feel no matter where you go.

If I do end up going, I will make sure that the truck or suv is 4x4. Here in Utah it is rare to find anything that is 2 wheel drive... especially this time of year. We just received 5" of snow last night with more to come today and tomorrow.

Ah don’t worry about the anti-out of stater thread. There is one every season. They get more entertaining every year. Same theme different players. It’s nothing more than a gripe fest. Kansas is a wonderful state to hunt with friendly people and wide open spaces.

Get out here and hunt! The anti out-of-state sentiment is absurd, and is NOT at all how the majority of residents think. It’s just people spewing BS on the internet. The vast majority of folks in Kansas are as friendly and hospitable as can be. I always enjoy seeing people from other places enjoying their time in our state. If you do decide to come, bring a 4x4 whatever you do, it’s going to be muddy.

Last edited:
Back