Training Collars

WeimeranersRock

I am thinking about buying a training collar. My female which is 9 this year is developing some really bad habits that I want to correct.

I am hoping I can get a few ideas on name brands etc. I don't want a beeper since my dog does hunt close but just want to be able to correct her on the spot when she jumps in on birds and turns and goes the other way when its time to head back to the truck.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Dogtra 280NCP and like it a lot. The dogtra collars have a vibrate option as compared to a lot of other brands that have a tone/beep.

Sportdog, 300, a very good unit nice and light.........Bob

Sportdog 1825. Tone, nick and vibrate. 99.5% of the time a little tone is all you need. 2 dog compatible.

I am thinking about buying a training collar. My female which is 9 this year is developing some really bad habits that I want to correct.

I am hoping I can get a few ideas on name brands etc. I don't want a beeper since my dog does hunt close but just want to be able to correct her on the spot when she jumps in on birds and turns and goes the other way when its time to head back to the truck.

Thanks in advance.

Be VERY careful with a 9 year old dog that has never been collar conditioned, especially when using it to correct manners on game. I'm not opposed to using electricity around birds, but the dog MUST know the drill before you do so. If not, you run the real risk of creating a blinker. IMHO, you've got a solid month of training and overlaying the ecollar with the whoa command before I would even consider using electricity around a bird.

It isn't as simple as strapping on an ecollar and the dog automatically knows to associate the stim with the command.

Not saying that is what you're implying, but I think it is important for others to consider who might read this.

Be VERY careful with a 9 year old dog that has never been collar conditioned, especially when using it to correct manners on game. I'm not opposed to using electricity around birds, but the dog MUST know the drill before you do so. If not, you run the real risk of creating a blinker. IMHO, you've got a solid month of training and overlaying the ecollar with the whoa command before I would even consider using electricity around a bird.

It isn't as simple as strapping on an ecollar and the dog automatically knows to associate the stim with the command.

Not saying that is what you're implying, but I think it is important for others to consider who might read this.

:cheers::):):):)

I never and I mean never use the e-collar when the dog is working on a bird. Basicly you are telling it "that is a bad dog don't do it" The they wonder why their bird dog is not really birdy anymore. I have my dog wear it, a lot of times it is not even turned on.......Bob

I have been really happy with my Tritronics G3. I am sure with a 9 year old weim you know how soft they are and will start very slowly with it.

Back