Tools?

I have a Tenzing BV16 Upland Pack. It isn't advertised as being able to be used for that purpose but because of its design and the adjustments in the straps, the size of the game pouch it works. The straps are heavy duty with heavy duty clips, the game pouch is zip top and heavy duty too. The mesh on the sides is forgiving or can be cut quickly for a better fit.
I've had my dog in it a couple times just testing it out and it works.....and that's with a healthy squirming 75lb Lab that thought it was play time or something!
It can go back on as a backpack too or I can front pack him if that keeps him calmer.
So, it's not specifically designed or advertised for that purpose, but I can tell you the pack, straps, clips and weight distribution is designed well and heavy duty, it'll work for that purpose should I need it.

Interesting. I have two of the original Bird-n-Lite vests (one because it was being sold by an individual unused for $40) and a BV16! I don't use the BV16 in TN because it is often too warm. I will check it out and rethink using it around home as my dog ages. She loves going down the mountain but sometimes cannot easily get back out of the some the cover we go into- sometimes I cannot either....

Interesting. I have two of the original Bird-n-Lite vests (one because it was being sold by an individual unused for $40) and a BV16! I don't use the BV16 in TN because it is often too warm. I will check it out and rethink using it around home as my dog ages. She loves going down the mountain but sometimes cannot easily get back out of the some the cover we go into- sometimes I cannot either....
I like the BV16, it works for me.

....wow.....for pheasant hunting....where do you hunt? I am thinking it will be I some remote village of Alaska and you are very accident prone. I guess it that's what it takes to make you feel comfortable outdoors, are all wired different. That is the type of stuff I would consider taking along on an elk hunt in the mountains away from most civilization. Honestly, where do you pheasant hunt? Don't give away the coordinates, but maybe the state(s).
Something like this could happen to any of us and he was only 1/2 mile from his truck.

Well, I think most of us would head for the truck in the same situation. Or call a friend, but still head for the truck. You might get to it before the help gets there. Didn't read the story, but did it take 16 hours due to the trerrain or his age?

Well, I think most of us would head for the truck in the same situation. Or call a friend, but still head for the truck. You might get to it before the help gets there. Didn't read the story, but did it take 16 hours due to the trerrain or his age?
In reading the article, he did not have his cell phone with him. With that, there is no guarantee that technology is always going to work, or what if it gets damaged in the fall or submerged in water.
Another thought that crosses my mind, which I do because of how often I hunt alone, is to let at least one person know my plan. Mostly it is my wife. I typically tell her where I am parked, what piece I am hunting and what direction. I also tell her that I will check in once back at the truck. Gives her a starting point if I don't check in and she can't reach me.
I'm not accident prone or paranoid, just prepared.
As a Sheriff's Deputy for 24 years, I've been on those scenes, I've searched, I've delivered that news good and bad.

Broken femur, fell in a drainage ditch, no phone. Got close to his vehicle, but there was another drainage ditch that he couldn't cross.

I don't carry my phone with me, but do have it in the truck, and my wife can find that. Still, a good reminder for people who are maybe hunting in an unfamiliar terrain.

My two biggest fears are getting lost somewhere or falling and breaking something.
I think if one of the locater services were to team up with onX they’d make a killing

I do try to carry my phone, I never answer it, drives me crazy when anyone does answer calls while hunting, those are the ones that are never ready anyway. A busted femur, that would slow the return trip to the truck down. GH, you might create a fire storm here not taking your phone! I guess if there is no service available, it is only a camera. I will be that old fella in a decade, hope I am not crossing drainage ditches and such, in my local terrain, I should be OK. lf pheasant hunting in Iowa, if you are really gifted and manage to get lost, just walk a straight line, you will find a road sooner than later. If the walk is over a few miles, it would be unusual in the NW part of the state. Now mountains and trees seem like where becoming lost or falling would be much more of an issue. I am sure out west there are a few pheasants in some remote places, the places the locals hunt. It is beginning to feel like a long off-season already.

I do try to carry my phone, I never answer it, drives me crazy when anyone does answer calls while hunting, those are the ones that are never ready anyway. A busted femur, that would slow the return trip to the truck down. GH, you might create a fire storm here not taking your phone! I guess if there is no service available, it is only a camera. I will be that old fella in a decade, hope I am not crossing drainage ditches and such, in my local terrain, I should be OK. lf pheasant hunting in Iowa, if you are really gifted and manage to get lost, just walk a straight line, you will find a road sooner than later. If the walk is over a few miles, it would be unusual in the NW part of the state. Now mountains and trees seem like where becoming lost or falling would be much more of an issue. I am sure out west there are a few pheasants in some remote places, the places the locals hunt. It is beginning to feel like a long off-season already.
I hear ya on the phone thing.....one of the guys that hunts with me occasionally runs a delivery business for medical services.....they call he hauls (assigns drivers).....I just keep going, he can catch up! LOL!
I use my personal phone alot for photos.....the work one goes with, but on silent unless I'm close to home and have to answer!

My two biggest fears are getting lost somewhere or falling and breaking something.
I think if one of the locater services were to team up with onX they’d make a killing
My biggest fear, well it's really more of a nightmare I've been having. I'm an old man living out on a farm in the boonies. Two guys show up in an old beat up pickup and I give them permission to hunt. They end the day shooting a limit of hens, my pet barnyard turkey, and a bunch of farm machinery.

I always have a leatherman, a dog water bowl, water and a little can of disinfectant and blood coagulant (Red Hot) on any day trip for over night trips, I have a pretty extensive dog medical bag that has pretty much everything that I might need such as extra shells, cleaning kit, dog and human emergency medical stuff, head lamp etc. Basically anything that myself or the dog might need.

I hunt by myself 99% of the time, so I carry a PLB in my vest. If I get hurt or can't get out for whatever reason, I hit a button and it brings search and rescue and emergency services to me. I just had new batteries put in mine and re-certified for $150. Good for 5 years. No subscription service required. Well worth the cost to me.

Back