Tip your hat to Ducks Unlimited!

oldandnew

Thanks to the organization which had the foresight to get out early, in a desperate time to mobilize the resources to save waterfowl. Ironically, they help the upland birds too! I wish we Uplander's had that as well. Taking on the task now, some 80 years after, in a seeming desperate condition to save upland bird hunting is dauntless. At least we have blueprint of how it can be accomplished. If it can be done before , it can be repeated. We need to say that prayer at night and resolve to see it happen, if not for us, then for our grandchildren, and their grandchildren as well.

duck groups are outstanding:thumbsup: Lots of good projects that benefit all wildlife. Pheasant forevers a joke all they did was plant groves for people zero help because there trimmed and mowed. Their even dumb enough to put a sign up on that garbage. Planted tons of worthless grasses. Give money to duck programs and you'll get results:thumbsup::10sign:

duck groups are outstanding:thumbsup: Lots of good projects that benefit all wildlife. Pheasant forevers a joke all they did was plant groves for people zero help because there trimmed and mowed. Their even dumb enough to put a sign up on that garbage. Planted tons of worthless grasses. Give money to duck programs and you'll get results:thumbsup::10sign:

Now that's what we need--put downs of us that are trying to do something--glad you like my garbage signs--dumb old me. :confused:

I think every acre counts! At one point, I think Delta Marsh was the first and only D.U. project, but look at now! Uplander's have eighty years to catch up. All most everybody who founded D.U. are gone, butg their grandchildren are seeing the biggest duck flights in history. Canada goose limits are 5 a day! Granted they have better habitat conditions lately, but the habitat has to be there to make it work!

maybe pheasant forever did better things elsewhere. I would hope so. I order seed from them turned into a joke:thumbsup: when I did get seed it was wrong:thumbsup: Called for advice didn't have a clue:thumbsup: ended up going to a private guy who was awesome:thumbsup: I'd say that's far from a class outfit. If they work for you great. My money will always go to duck programs

i have seen both ends i tend to lean towards the PF can really step there game up with wear there well our $$$ goes small or local chapters are doing great things to help buy and or secure private lands & then turn that into a public tract of land for us all to enjoy...
but thats a select few local chapters... i also have seen pf waste big $$$ on trees and shrubs that were planted at schools and playgrounds for like a youth day event? how bout we take them kids to a public tract of land and plant them trees? just dumb... give ur $ to local pf chapters its put to much better use at least here in mn...

PF needs to get on its game and stop pumping or donating or praseing these walk in type hunting programs i enjoy them and they do help add public lands for us all to enjoy but a wildlife managment area or game production area or waterfowl production areas are forever... in MN we we have to pay $ to get valideated to hunt walk in hunting lands cool we pay but i wish that $ went to sevureing more wma gpa or wpa type lands our grandkids can enjoy...

im happy to see DU PF & NWTF all have kinda joined forces to kibd of help all sportsmen out it will only help us in the long run ive seen much more then just waterfowl on wpas while hunting...

dont forget quail forever from what im seeing in certain states they are putting there $$$ to work im joining asap and planing a january quail pheasant hunt while turkey hunting this and last spring in the same area i seen 10-30 coveys all seperate daily it was crazy to see that many quail on every walk... guess thats what tx is like???

Last edited:
Now that's what we need--put downs of us that are trying to do something--glad you like my garbage signs--dumb old me. :confused:

Jim, I think at this point you know better than to take such a post to heart;)

Keep up the good work my friend and please keep posting photos of your habitat as it progresses. You have a small slice of paradise out there with wild birds to back it up:thumbsup::cheers:

Nick

You can stick your head in the sand if you want. Why would you support a manicured lawn:confused: All I'm saying is DU projects are good. As are some PF projects just not around here.

You can stick your head in the sand if you want. Why would you support a manicured lawn:confused: All I'm saying is DU projects are good. As are some PF projects just not around here.
Coot, I agree there are somethings I don't like while implementing a cause which is worthwhile. I'm sure D.U,. made some mistakes, some people say they still are! There was a statement made made years ago which espoused that we need to do "what the farmer/or government, will allow". With credit to Moellermd who said it. I took offense at that statement, believing that allowing the progenator's to call the dance was a mistake. Maybe it is, but making improvements within the system, may be all we can do! As time goes forward, getting a good stump to preach to overcome these issues, will make a positive push forward. I said before, it's the voices for all conservation issues, water, erosion, game preservation, habitat allowances, which make all the difference. If you will, if you are a voted in member of congress, do you pay attention to 1 disgruntled constituent or 2,000,000 constituents, with a paid Lobby in your office! We want to make a difference now! But it might be many years to reach the D.U. platform of success. I would not withhold support from any worthwhile endeavor, but I say you have a right and obligation set them straight, as the:cheers: "faithful opposition".

Last edited:

I worked with my chapter in years past. My habitat director/volunteer for the chapter just retired, but I have to say where there's upland/wetland habitat (state, county, CRP/private land) in the county he's probably got his name on it through pulling together volunteers to work on the sites, pulling money from PF chapters, DU, and NWTF for seed, equipment, and herbicide. Many CRP areas in the county used PF equipment, money for seed and herbicide too.

I'm not sure I would consider these successes as to having my "head in the sand":confused: To add to it, there's many many chapters out there who have and are doing much more than we have.

DU spends way too much money outside the PPR. For the amount of money they generate - they could do much, much more by focusing on what they formed to do. Protect wetland complexes in the PPR.

Teaming up with USF&WS and State agencies seems to make sense. Let DU pay the cost of upgrading habitat rather than acquiring it. I believe ND has laws in-place that prevent nonprofit corporations from purchasing and owning land.

Dropping huge amounts of money on moist soil management projects in the MidSouth is not where the DU money should go. These are often private holdings (leased and hunted).

DU also purchases land, places it in easement and then resells the land ... this has been somewhat controversial.

PF is first class organization with much of the money raised spent locally. If there is an issue with how the money is spent locally maybe you should contact PF and have their assigned biologist go out and investigate what went wrong.

Back