Time for predator control

Drakekiller

Now is prime time to rid your land for Coons and Skunks.We live 3 hours from our land so leg hold traps are out for us. So I purchased a bunch of 220 conibear traps and bought plastic buckets that I fit the traps in the front. Place bait in back of bucket. Works great.
For birds of prey, we have cut down any dead trees that a raptor purches. Also on wooden fence posts, I pound four gutter nails on the top then cut off the head of nail. They can not land on them for purches anymore.

Welcome to the site!! Good timing for the reminder and it's neat to see someone's first post of the informative nature. Can't wait to have some land to control predators on. For now, I'll just keep killing them with my car when they're in my way.

Yup DrakeKiller, welcome to the site.
I've a feeling this thread may go in different directions.:)

IMO, Predator control is as important as good habitat.

"Good bird habitat is excellent predator habitat"

Drakekiller love the practical suggestions. Please keep us updated about how you do trapping. Number of coons and skunks per acre would be really interesting.

We have 160 acres in South central ND. All in CRP but two 6 acre food plots that we took out of CRP. Also have 6 tree plantings. So far have been avg. about 5 coons in the summer. We were there a couple of weeks ago and did not have time to set traps. Planted 250 trees, drug and sprayed tree rows. I think the yotes must keep them in check. Have not caught any skunks yet. There are no old buildings around for them to live in,so think that helps. Did catch a porkypine last summer. Did not know they liked shrimp bait,well at least that one did. First year had a lot of sprung traps. Did not know what was springing them. Thought might be yotes. Then bought some better quality 220's and have had better luck.

What kind of trees are you planting?

Back