Tick prevention

I'm just curious if anyone can recommend a secondary tick preventative for dogs. I currently give my dog Nexgard the pill form and I am satisfied with it so far. I am looking for a secondary "spray" that I can apply when we walk into high tick populated areas. I'm not worried about her catching disease from ticks because of the Nexgard I'm more concerned about her bringing guests into my home.

If your looking for repellent properties then your options are as follows. Permethrins have mild repellent properties. Frontline(fiprinol) spray has mild to moderate properties and the Preventic collar has the best known repellent properties. Hope this helps. Nexgaurd works great at killing tics but it requires a tic to have a blood meal to ingest insecticide :) and therefore does stop tic Bourne diseases. Good luck.

Ticks

My dog is the official greeter at our golf range so she spends 6 months outside every year. I can't even fathom how many ticks I've picked off her over the years. This year I used Bravecto, which lasts 3 months. I have not seen or felt one tick since using it. I used a Saresto Collar for a few weeks last year but I removed it because I thought there was too much of a high concentration of the drug in the neck area. I'm sure they're fine, but I was suspicious. I'll treat her once more to cover the end of summer and through October when we head to ND/SD.

NO to Frontline Plus

I had my former dog on Frontline Plus her entire life. She was a happy, healthy 5 year old Golden Retriever when I lost her exactly one year ago tomorrow to Lyme Nephritis. As word of my dog's passing got around, I had a friend with a black lab that also developed Lyme's while on Frontline.

Some may swear by it, I swear at it. I trusted it to work and lost my buddy. Don't chance it.

We have four dogs on Saresto Collars, and have been happy. When hunting season comes I spray them down Zonkit . It's a horse and dog spray with permethrin in it. I gave up on Frontline years ago ! We had a dog getting one of the tic diseases every year when on it. Plus it also has permethrin in it, and when I would spray them down with Zonkit had one dog get a little sick from to much permethrin.

I have been using first shield trio. I have had hit and miss results. Im going to switch to Advantix II(for more than one reason) as that seems to be really popular with repelling and killing features plus minimal bad reviews compared to others. I use a natural care spray anytime we are going to the fields and woods. Its quick and easy to do and this seems to help with whatever the first shield trio is lacking. Anytime I use the spray I don't find ticks but I also want my dog treated when the spray is not being used.

With that being said I am thinking about getting a flea and tick collar. The vet recommended the seresto collar and Im pretty impressed with what I read on their site and reviews. The vet said it could be used in conjunction with advantix II or first shield trio. Im really thinking about using this collar. Has anyone here used the seresto flea and tick collar? I would be either using advantix II, the collar or both combined. I want to get other vet opinions and talk to manufacturer first of course before a decision is made.

Pardon my stupidity but my question is(if I use the collar)...

3 collars on a dog in the field? Regular collar, tick collar and e collar? Do a lot of people do this? Id love to see some pics and here some feedback, please.

Edit: Am I right to guess that(starting closest to the ears working back to the shoulders) it would be e collar first, then seresto collar and then regular collar?

Last edited:
Sorry I getting old, Frontline doesn't use permethrin it was Advantic II we were using when dog got sick.

I dont have any photos, but add a GPS collar to the bunch. That's right sometimes my dog runs with four collars.:thumbsup:

Sorry I getting old, Frontline doesn't use permethrin it was Advantic II we were using when dog got sick.

I dont have any photos, but add a GPS collar to the bunch. That's right sometimes my dog runs with four collars.:thumbsup:

Highvoltage, thanks for the reply. Somehow I missed your post right above mine mentioning the seresto collar, until now, when I came back here to check in.

Good to know. Was just curious as this is my first gun dog. Ive seen two collars most of the time upland hunting. I didn't always pay attn. to how many collars the dogs wore but now that Ive got one of my own Im looking at these little meaningless details, haha!

Last edited:
I've been using K9 Advantix 11 On my girls Lilly & Biscuit & have found no ticks yet. Hope I didn't jinx them !

I ended up getting the Seresto collar and will use that along with the "extra preventative" spray I've been happy with. I see the collar recommended by locals here in my area and many vets.

I pulled another tick off of Remi and the topical treatment I was using hasn't repelled(that I know of? Doesn't seem to be at least) or killed any ticks whether on her or bitten. I used the spray on Sunday before training and she had one on her. He appeared to be "hurting". After removal, the tick was dead shortly after, proving it was once again the natural care spray doing the dirty work.

I dk about you guys out west but its a bumper year for ticks here in the northeast

Back