Thoughts

Just thought I would through this against the wall and see what you guys think. I bought a couple of small stun/guns (at the Sportsmans Show) for my 2 girls in College, pink, 1/2 the size of a cell phone, comes with a pink belt carrying case. The college of my youngest girl goes to has had numerous assalts over the past 2 years and at night she carries her pocket knife in her hand when crossing campus alone. The stun gun has a light and makes a nasty noise when triggered as well as the electrical charge. The question is my wife is concerned that the perp will turn the device on our child. My thought is there is always the risk of that but if she is in that perdicament she is not in a good place anyway and at least she will be able to defend herself.
Thoughts?

I also got a larger one for me as I live in lion country and walk my dogs at night before bed. 2 weeks ago a lion attacked a dog in my nieghborhood.

I think they are great and probably better than the pocket knife for your girls. I would not use them against a lion or any other animal. Animals do not react the same as humans. As humans, we understand the where and why the pain is coming from and it acts as a deterent. An animal does not undersand where or why it is in pain, just that it needs to fight harder to get through the pain.

I'm with you, probably one of the best options for your girls. As for it being turned on the girls by the bad guy, I'd rather have the stun gun turned on me that being stabed with my own knife or shot with my own gun, etc.

Not a bad idea. Better than a pocket knife for sure. What about pepper spray. I think it might be a quicker draw than the stun guns but I haven't seen the ones you are talking about. They should also go to a basic self defense class to learn how to get out of holds. Most communities offer those classes and I think they typically instruct on pepper spray. I think the benefits of carrying the stun gun far outweigh the potential of it being used against them. My personal 2 cents.

I think I'd rather trust a 44 mag on lions rather the stun gun! :) You have a serveral chances with it, probably scare it off on the first round.

I would definitely recommend pepper spray over a stun gun. The #1 reason is that with a stun gun you have to be within close contact to get the job done. That means hand fighting and working to get the stunner in close to the attacker without them overpowering you. Pepper spray will work at 15 feet or so, plenty of distance to spray and still maneuver. You also don't have to be real precise with spray - hit anywhere near the face and you'll put a hurting on the bad guy.

Back