Thinking about getting a new puppy!

Mil_Vet

Does anybody hunt with a Deutsch Drahthaar or a Chesapeke Bay Retreiver? I can't make up my mind between these two. Thanks

cheasapeakes

I have two, sized about like a pony, eat like a horse. Will retrieve anything, go into any cover, swim any depth or distance, guard the household almost to point that you fear for the neighbor kids. Need a bus or trailer to haul them, oily coated, almost impossible to wash because they shed water, hence they are a little doggy smelling all the time. If you want a house dog, I would be prepared for these things. If you have to hunt to live everyday for survival, and want to sleep secure in a combat zone, I'd have no other. My humble opinion. I do believe some strains have been bred down temperment wise to be more golden or lab like. Really what I was hoping for, not what I got. I don't even hunt mine anymore, because the agressiveness, toward other people near their property, i.e. the car, or bird, and the same with other dogs. Require a very firm hand, and if your not around willing to think and make decisions on their own, they are smart and crafty. I raised these from birth, have raised dozens of bird dogs, never a tough one, except for these two, I thought enviornment would make a difference, but the tough old bay dog heredity won out. Having said all that, I trust them implicitly with my kids, cats, livestock, but if the postman get into the yard or a stray cat, not one of theirs, the tresspasser is at risk.

oldandnew,

Thanks for the humorous, but painfully truthful response. I've never owned Chessies, but I've always heard tales very similar to the ones you tell. I think I'll have to get one when I'm a bit older and don't have much company (i.e. my kids friends). They sound like great all around dogs depending on your individual lifestyle.

Wire haired pointing griffon

Not exactly a Draathar, but my three year old love affair with my Griffon/Lab mix grows everyday. She was a pricey accident but she turned out mostly Griffon. Her natural hunting abilities showed up very young, she trained me, as I've never had a pointer. Her field abilities are only restrained by my lack of experience, yet we do quite well together. She's smart, a sweetheart, hunts close and obeys pretty well. Just like the descriptions I've read about the breed. I, as well as a few of my friends, are sold on the breed.View attachment 1299

I think the Deutsch Drahthaar would be a good choice.

If you haven't heard of the slight controversy between the german wirehair/Deutsch Drahthaar look into that. A wirehair from good hunting backgrounds is what I have.

Here are some observations from my dog:

1. He HATES cats. No other way to put it. I read up on wirehairs before I got Amos and thought yeah whatever. Its true, they will and do kill cats....

2. He will point almost any living thing. Any bird (even flocks of geese flying over), rabbit, squirrel, deer and even horses.

3. They will outsmart you all the time. I have called my own dog a smarta!@ more than once.

4. They are protective but not to the point where I fear he will bite someone that doesn't deserve it. Usually after he sees I am cool with it he quiets down and checks the person out and wants loved on...

Go with the Wirehair if it is between those two!!!!! Every Chessie I have hunted with has been very aggressive and they seem to tire quickly in warm weather.

Back