The ones that get away

peterpointinglab

I walked all day attetntive and ready for my opportunity, after a few miles of walking cattails I turned and said to my buddy, "I just wish there was some snow, then I know they'd be in the cattails." Before I finished my sentence the biggest rooster in mcloed county erupted from the cattails 10 yds in front of us and I fumbled my gun and just couldn't for the life of me shoulder my gun *@#$$! My friend didnt shoot because he said my head was in the way(good friend). Getting burned motivates me to get back out there, just wish I could sleep tonite. Any other sob stories?

Mine usually get away cause I get too excited to get in the field and with getting my dogs ready that I forget to load my gun....oops. Than when you hit one it all goes away LOL. :D

We were out last sunday pushing a little corn strip than ran into some taller grass. My dog did not get birdy until about 100yrds back to the parking spot. She started to move a lot faster so we picked up the pase. She paused moved another 10ft and boom a big old rooster flushers from the grass. It then took a hard turn in front of all 4 of us the only problem was he made sure the trucks were behind him. No shots were fired as he flew away laughing at us.:D Peter I did the same thing a few weeks ago. Damn bird scared the hell out of me.

I blew off some steam yesterday went to the local hunt club purchased six birds and mike (my lab) found 8! We shot 7, one of the birds was a low flyer and the shots would have been illadvised so we made the right decision and didnt shoot. Im fine with them getting away. I was very proud of my dog and my friend was also impressed. All of the hard work and training has been worth its weight in gold!:thumbsup:

Back