The most Beautiful Bird Hunting Boot ever

AtTheMurph

If I need boots these would be it!

I have the same boot but not in the bison leather. I think I have to be close to 15 years on them. Resoled and very minimal wear. I would have gone through at least 2 or 3 pairs of store bought boots In that period of time and spent at least as much as I have in mine. Around $500 when I got hem, with an added boar hide toe cap for wear.

But they don't look like that bison leather...... :love:

I have the same boot but not in the bison leather. I think I have to be close to 15 years on them. Resoled and very minimal wear. I would have gone through at least 2 or 3 pairs of store bought boots In that period of time and spent at least as much as I have in mine. Around $500 when I got hem, with an added boar hide toe cap for wear.

But they don't look like that bison leather...... :love:
How did you take that plunge? I wear through boots very often, but dropping $500+ on a pair feels so risky. The bison leather is only $40 more, not as bad I would have thought.

I thought these were a true custom deal, trace your foot and they made the boot that size/shape. I would love to try them, but maybe not the best idea right now. The Thorogoods I wore this season faired very well. So far, they look like maybe the best boot I have owned. I need to write a date inside them or I will never remember how old they actually are. Many guys here seem to be to remember the year that purchased boots, coats, guns, you name it. I would struggle to tell you what I had for lunch yesterday!

I too have a 15 year old pair that still gets heavy use until there is snow on the ground. Mine have payed for themselves twice over easily but they were $400 back then. They made a quality product and stuck by it. The company has been purchased from the long time family owners and no longer do custom sizing or make as many styles as before. Many of their boots now have gortex sides :( . They are outsourcing their resoling and may be trending toward more shoe sales.
It is sad as I live a few miles from the factory. Its an old brick building that looks like it could be condemned. If you walked in you were met by one of the owners and there were boxes everywhere. It was filled with workers, boxes, leather, and no over-head. It was a cool place. Unfortunately it has gone the "way the buffalo". Sorry, couldn't resist.
The buffalo leather is certainly eye catching! If anyone is going to drop the coin on these, I would suggest seeing if they can have the toe guard or they won't last as that is what will wear out and a toe guard cannot be added later.

Well, guess I needed to have ordered a year ago when I was pricing them out, for true custom boots. That toe cover was one of the options I would not have skipped when expecting the boots to last a decade or more...that toe leather takes a ton of abuse walking in cover.

I too have a 15 year old pair that still gets heavy use until there is snow on the ground. Mine have payed for themselves twice over easily but they were $400 back then. They made a quality product and stuck by it. The company has been purchased from the long time family owners and no longer do custom sizing or make as many styles as before. Many of their boots now have gortex sides :( . They are outsourcing their resoling and may be trending toward more shoe sales.
It is sad as I live a few miles from the factory. Its an old brick building that looks like it could be condemned. If you walked in you were met by one of the owners and there were boxes everywhere. It was filled with workers, boxes, leather, and no over-head. It was a cool place. Unfortunately it has gone the "way the buffalo". Sorry, couldn't resist.
The buffalo leather is certainly eye catching! If anyone is going to drop the coin on these, I would suggest seeing if they can have the toe guard or they won't last as that is what will wear out and a toe guard cannot be added later.
I have been there myself. It was filled with great smells, like a spent shell. Finding new craftsman in this changing world was difficult at best. Great little place with down to earth owners.

I’m on 4 seasons of a custom to foot made South 40 Birdshooter. I like them just fine, they’re very comfortable. . $500 at the time (wife bought for me).

They tout them as being waterproof without fancy liners. They’re not. They’ll leak like a sieve in ankle deep water, not standing in it, just a quick dunk in the cattails as you’re crossing.

They also screwed up the specs on the build, just basic following their order sheet (or lack there of). I didn’t want to bother with a return process on a 6 month delivery so I lived with it.

When/if these wear out, I’ll go to the Thorogoods. They’re my daily boot and I’ll get the waterproof ones for hunting.

Back