The good.. the bad…and the ugly

carptom1

I returned from a few days in SD . It was a spur of the moment deal with my oldest son. I broke a toe about 8 weeks ago and he wanted to get back into hunting after an 8 year hiatus getting a masters degree and starting a career/ family. I was finally feeling a bit better and thought I would give it a go. We hunted around Redfield/ Melette and 60-70 miles in all directions.

The good..

First off I have gotten serious about my health and am down 50 pounds with about 40-50 to go. Even with the toe barking a bit, walking wasn’t nearly the chore it was in years past. The little Pudelpointer is really starting to figure it out. She works at a nice pace and had several good points and got several birds shot over her and made some good finds. I still am keeping her inside 60 yards or so until we firm her up a bit. She is only about 60-70 % steady at this point, but she is doing well for less than 2. I shot one yesterday that wasn’t hit well in some waist high CRP interspersed with trees. She tracked it for fifty yards or so and dug it out from under a bush very much alive. She also gifted me with a beautiful point at the end of our morning today before we left for home.

The Bad

With the exception of one CREP field that we flushed 50 pheasants out of one morning we saw very few birds. In fact we hunted that field all three days and managed six birds out of it and should have had a couple more. It was way too big for two guys and one dog but we worked the edges by the cut corn and hit the short cattails in the back. It was weird as I saw many hunters in cover much less appealing but never found anyone in this one.
The weather was horrible, windy and warm.

The Ugly

Severely depleted bird counts in this area. I would say 30-40 percent of the corn was still in, but we saw very few roadside birds. I would guess 20 or less in 3 days. Most of the minimum maintenance roads were like golf courses. Anything that wasn’t cut was wet. If you are going to that area to road hunt good luck. I talked to many groups in the hotel and restaurants and they were around 1bird a day or less. Of course private land guys were doing better but who knows what they were shooting. I saw a ton of busses full of guys. Most of the public guys were disappointed. More hunters than years past. I felt like our six birds in two days hunted were good by comparison. We picked up a couple more the day we got there down south.

All and all a good time and beats working any day. Might try to get on some quail here this weekend. Might even try Iowa here in a couple weeks. Haven’t hunted there in years.

Attachments

• EFD19E5B-C895-453E-8862-41EE200111FF.jpeg
    EFD19E5B-C895-453E-8862-41EE200111FF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
  • 81AEE3B3-6C70-4994-BC72-945A25B18AAD.jpeg
    81AEE3B3-6C70-4994-BC72-945A25B18AAD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
  • A5F344CE-6979-4FD2-BFF5-74223977A919.png
    A5F344CE-6979-4FD2-BFF5-74223977A919.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 95
  • 75C83C7E-A546-48D8-95C9-930876E5E6C0.jpeg
    75C83C7E-A546-48D8-95C9-930876E5E6C0.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 96
  • 1E4286FD-AF2C-422B-A04C-EF5588D52DA5.jpeg
    1E4286FD-AF2C-422B-A04C-EF5588D52DA5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 101
Hey Tom,

You're a shadow of your former self! And another 40-50 - we won't recognize you. Glad you managed to make a trip with your son; those are the good times for sure.

I thought Redfield was the pheasant capital.
Hey Tom,

You're a shadow of your former self! And another 40-50 - we won't recognize you. Glad you managed to make a trip with your son; those are the good times for sure.

I know right?? I wasn’t short of breath at all. Raven had a good hunt and is starting to figure it out. She raced by me once then slammed on the brakes and did a 180 looking at me about twenty yards in front of me. She didn’t have time to do a full point and honestly I thought she was peeing. She kept looking up at me like “ what are you doing it’s right there “. Sure enough up pops a rooster. She hunted hard and is crashed on the couch as we speak.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
I know right?? I wasn’t short of breath at all. Raven had a good hunt and is starting to figure it out. She raced by me once then slammed on the brakes and did a 180 looking at me about twenty yards in front of me. She didn’t have time to do a full point and honestly I thought she was peeing. She kept looking up at me like “ what are you doing it’s right there “. Sure enough up pops a rooster. She hunted hard and is crashed on the couch as we speak.
It's fun to watch the dog point - always enjoyed Max's points. Glad Raven is getting it figured out...flashes of brilliance! Look forward to hunting with you and Raven again one day.

I returned from a few days in SD . It was a spur of the moment deal with my oldest son. I broke a toe about 8 weeks ago and he wanted to get back into hunting after an 8 year hiatus getting a masters degree and starting a career/ family. I was finally feeling a bit better and thought I would give it a go. We hunted around Redfield/ Melette and 60-70 miles in all directions.

The good..

First off I have gotten serious about my health and am down 50 pounds with about 40-50 to go. Even with the toe barking a bit, walking wasn’t nearly the chore it was in years past. The little Pudelpointer is really starting to figure it out. She works at a nice pace and had several good points and got several birds shot over her and made some good finds. I still am keeping her inside 60 yards or so until we firm her up a bit. She is only about 60-70 % steady at this point, but she is doing well for less than 2. I shot one yesterday that wasn’t hit well in some waist high CRP interspersed with trees. She tracked it for fifty yards or so and dug it out from under a bush very much alive. She also gifted me with a beautiful point at the end of our morning today before we left for home.

The Bad

With the exception of one CREP field that we flushed 50 pheasants out of one morning we saw very few birds. In fact we hunted that field all three days and managed six birds out of it and should have had a couple more. It was way too big for two guys and one dog but we worked the edges by the cut corn and hit the short cattails in the back. It was weird as I saw many hunters in cover much less appealing but never found anyone in this one.
The weather was horrible, windy and warm.

The Ugly

Severely depleted bird counts in this area. I would say 30-40 percent of the corn was still in, but we saw very few roadside birds. I would guess 20 or less in 3 days. Most of the minimum maintenance roads were like golf courses. Anything that wasn’t cut was wet. If you are going to that area to road hunt good luck. I talked to many groups in the hotel and restaurants and they were around 1bird a day or less. Of course private land guys were doing better but who knows what they were shooting. I saw a ton of busses full of guys. Most of the public guys were disappointed. More hunters than years past. I felt like our six birds in two days hunted were good by comparison. We picked up a couple more the day we got there down south.

All and all a good time and beats working any day. Might try to get on some quail here this weekend. Might even try Iowa here in a couple weeks. Haven’t hunted there in years.
Love the pic of her with her head resting on the console!

Back