The day is here, with heavy heart

Today Trigger was not able to get up, which has been foreseen for some time. He has been with us for almost fourteen years and was just a pup when we had our first daughter. All three girls had the joy of having him in their lives, as he was a great dog in every sense. He was our first, and as all things first, they are not replicated. The hardest part is all those little tears. If things don’t turn around over night, tomorrow will be a tough day.

PaciePals-Copy.jpg

About 13 years ago.

Rusty Trigger....thinking of you and your family tonight with many prayers as well. Trigger sounds amazing...and he looks it :) Sadly our "best friends" and "family" will have their own way of telling us in our hearts when it is time. It is never easy, the pain is immense and there will be peace to know there is no more suffering. Take care.

That sucks for sure. I still vividly remember when I was in 8th grade, my dads GSP wouldn't eat anything. Vet couldn't find anything wrong with him. Came out of the house one day saw him crawling off into the pasture. Never saw him again.

Great dogs we have known.....

I have had the great pleasure and joy of being a part of the lives of five hunting dogs in my life. Zip, Jake, Heidi, Simba and currently Sophie. I have loved them all. They were all unique and similar at the same time. Each had its own "quirks" that made me love them even more. I have never been ashamed to admit my love for my hunting companions. We spent thousands of hours together over 43 seasons. They were my friends.

I have nothing to offer you in your moment of need other than to share this--take a moment to remember all of the joys and events that you shared with your dog. That is what will carry you and your family through the next several days and months. You had the "gift" of spending part of your life with your dog. I believe the two of you will hunt together again some day.

Was in your spot not long ago with our young male. He was tough, fighting a cancer growth in his shoulder and never gave up. Good luck friend.

My heart felt sympathies go out to you and your family. Something we as dog owners must all eventually go through. Never easy saying your final goodbye to an old friend.

Remember the good times you had as they will stay with you forever.

Last edited:
Sorry buddy...that's tough. Hang in there, you'll never replace him, but I'm sure you have plenty of heart to share with a new pup, should the worst happen. Prayers are with you and yours' Sir.

Just think about all of the great dogs that are waiting for us,in the great phez field in the sky.
Sorry for your pain

I have an older dog too, of 12, and lay in bed at night and dread of the day we will have to part ways. We had him before we had our little girls. My oldest girl is 10 and youngest 5. They wouldn't know our house without him. I truly, truly worry of the day. Sometimes I wonder whether I want it to come quick, or if I want our girls a chance to say goodbye. I do know this, I treasure every second of every minute of every day I have with him. And he knows he's loved, as I know yours does. That's the best you can do buddy. I just threw up a hail mary for you and your dog. Hope it turns out alright.

I can remember as a kid out hunting and my brittney got hit by a car on the highway. I was probably 9. I can remember crawling up into my grandpas big lap after we got home and cried, and cried, and cried. I'll never forget his words. "This pain is the worst pain a human can suffer. Losing a friend or a loved one hurts beyond our understanding. But, be strong. And it's hard to believe, but this too shall pass." Used that same mantra when he left.

Take care all.

You gave Trigger the best home a dog could hope for, so when he passes you know he had a complete dog's life, all that could be offered. And now you're going to see to it that he doesn't suffer unnecessarily. Well done, sir. Love the photo with baby and dog both on pacifiers.

I appreciate the post. I also have a 13 year old Brit who was my first bird dog as an adult. My father had always raised the dogs when we were younger. Duke will be 14 in March and each and every day he has a harder time getting up and around. I watched my dad make several "tough" decisions with old bird dogs. I know how hard that always was for him but he always did the honorable thing for his dogs. Be strong for him. You loved him, provided him with the best and you can bet he knows that. I hope I can be as strong as you and my father when the time comes. Best wishes, and all our prayers to you and yours.

Blackdog

Thanks for all the replies, it really helps. Had the vet come by this morning and we put him down while in the back yard, laying in the grass and loffing in the sun. I thought I was prepared for this day....it is a hell of a lot harder than I imagined. The girls are doing ok, they had their time to say goodbye last night.

Rest in Peace, Trigger. Well done, sir. Sounds like Trigger had a happy life with a great family. You did a kind thing for him today, and I'm sure you know that, but damn it is hard on a guy.

hang in there, Ive been there a few times so I know how much it sucks. Time will help heal the pain and bring out the fond memories.

RIP puppy. Sorry Trigger. I had to do my dog 3 years ago also. One big bundle of phez feathers and a goodbuy to Dukie. The feathers where his, he got the birds. No sad face to put up here. Made me tear up.

Back