Thanksgiving

Duckdog17

Woke up bright and early on Black Friday and headed out alone with my 8 month old Drahthaar pup J?ger.
After the first field, and no birds, I met up with the land owner and he showed me some new spots to hunt. After we parted ways, I bee-lined it back to one that caught my eye. A 1/2 section of milo stubble with a small cat tail draw running through it.
I walked a waterway up around to the stubble, then walked the stubble down to the cat tails.
About half way through the cat tail walk, J?ger locks up on point.
A nice size covey of quail flushes and I knock one down to the left, but J?ger charges forward into the cat tails and flushes 4 roosters!
I've been pretty adamant about not shooting bumped birds so I hold my fire.
I whistle him back, and he returns with a hen in his mouth!!

It really surprised me! She must have held super tight, because his first instinct is usually to point. He's not a big chaser or wild flusher, so I was kind of taken back.
I redirected him to the downed quail and started the "deaaaad" routine. That little sucker had buried himself in the grass and really made us work for him!
But, J?ger found him!
40225986-44D1-491E-B5D8-085BF6274B91-1382-00000328C8551289_zpsefdfaba4.jpg

Just past the cat tails was another waterway. Apparently, not all of the roosters had flushed earlier. We found one more in the grass.
B073C91D-97B9-4100-AA44-3931E3ACB16E-1382-0000032906AE13B1_zpse4f24824.jpg

And, we got two more quail out of there too!
At the end of our walk was a nice plum thicket and I was able to shoot the rooster that called it home.

We had time to hit one more spot before dark, so we walked some milo down into some grass and trees.
J?ger was birdy as soon as we started our walk. His "birdy" turned into a walking point that carried on for hundreds of yards. He was really doing a nice job of keeping his distance on a running bird. Finally,...he locked up 20ish yards in front of me, and a few seconds later, the rooster flushed ahead of him another 20ish yards. I couldn't hold up my end of the deal on that one.

We found another nice sized covey of quail down in the trees, but I never got a shot. So, we ended the day with 2 roosters and 3 quail.

91460D23-70CD-41A7-816F-5E7EED7A05E5-1382-00000328D01F5769_zps97717452.jpg

Saturday, a buddy of mine drove out for a one day hunt.
The morning started out great, and we got two roosters shot in the grass, but it warmed up quick! At one time, my truck said 65 degrees and there was no breeze at all.
Mid morning, J?ger started tracking,...then pointed, then pounced.
I thought, "Mouse for sure".
This is what he brought me kicking and whining!
Gotta love those German dogs!!!
4793CE4A-C7EC-4751-88F7-D46C583B7E2F-1932-00000411041D242C_zpsef5cc9a6.jpg

We shot one more rooster in another spot, but the highlight of the day was the very last bird.
We'd just finished a real azz kickin walk that produced a couple of birds that were promptly missed.
The plan was to take one of the waterways back around to the truck, but it petered out in the middle of some wheat stubble.
We were both totally wore slick, so we started our forced march across the wheat stubble, back to the truck. We had to cross a little section of milo stubble to get there, but I didn't expect much.
The sun was starting it's descent, and as it cooled down a little, J?ger was pepping up. He started getting birdy in the milo, and then it was obvious he was working a bird.
This old bird was really putting the moves on him! At one point, he'd trailed it to my right and down the field at least 300 yards. It looked as if he was really pressuring the bird, but instead of whistling him back, I just let it play out figuring if he bumped it, it'd be a good learning experience for him.

Then he starts taking a diagonal line towards us...
And then he locks up solid about 30ish yards right in front of us.
The rooster then flushes about 20 yards in front of him! My buddy knocks him down, and the chase is on again!!
J?ger ran him down and scooped him up!
I was so glad we got that one knocked down for him! He'd worked his butt off for that bird!
F150CCD3-6459-48CB-9892-7F652BB0CD13-1932-00000410F2379860_zpsfb3c30b7.jpg

4FE95EF5-8A49-49E1-A7CE-89519ED5FAED-1932-00000410DDDE5DBC_zps87f8e0e7.jpg

It has been some darn tough hunting without a doubt, and I'm real thankful that I've been able to find some birds for my pup.

Very nice looking pup he's really coming along at only 8 months. I wish I lived where I could just bird hunt for a few hours when I felt like it. That's really what it takes to make a bird dog, he's going to be a good one.

Lot better than my weekend. Hit a couple spots that have been reliable for a covey or three on Wednesday afternoon--blank. Went a couple hours west Sunday hoping to find some pheasants. Saw 4 in the first field, but only hens in range. Four other fields were blank.

Great hunt and great pics. Thanks for the post which is encouraging.

Last edited:
Nice report, thanks for sharing. Very cool to see a young one performing so well for you!

I'd say that is a pretty sucessful outing as far as bagging birds go. Especially with the numbers being what they are.

Sounds like a good times. Nice pictures!

The last picture. To me the pup is saying how's my hair how's my hair. Great job, you gotta be a proud papa.

Thanks guys!
Naturally, there's still a lot the pup and I have to work on, but I'm awful proud of how he's doing. We've also been real lucky to have had so many birds hold for a point. I think maybe some of that is the way I've been hunting this season...solo. Saturday, when my buddy drove out, was the first upland hunt with another gunner besides me.
One guy= no talking, less noise, door slams...etc.

That's not why I've been going solo though.
My motto for this season has been..."It's all about him" (J?ger)
Wild bird exposure was the ultimate goal, and I'd already made up my mind that I wasn't going to shoot anything that he'd mishandled or bumped. It's just awful hard to get someone to abide by that when their priority is to shoot birds.

In addition to being totally surprised, I really hated the fact that he caught that hen. The last thing he needs to be thinking is that he can catch birds! Shoot, if I wanna take that risk, I can do that with pigeons!! ;)

Something else I figured out this weekend...I need to shoot some clays!! He might still be a puppy, but he's got that "WTF??!!" look down pat!!!

Sunday, before heading home, I wanted to hit a few "small" spots as my legs felt like jello. The second "small" spot turned into another forced march of attrition!
I discovered a big waterway behind an old deserted farm house that I never knew existed.
My plan was to just kind of hunt the weed engulfed farm house and surrounding shelter belt, but once I walked a little further behind it, there was a huge grass waterway, 2 dry ponds full of cat tails and surrounded by wild sunflowers, and another pond with water surrounded by weeds and wild sunflowers. And, the waterway branched out into the surrounding wheat stubble and a little bit of milo...Food, cover, and water...Pheasant Mecca!!! Right?
We walked every one of those branches and circled every pond...nothing!

As we were walking up the very last branch, probably 2 miles later...
J?ger starts to get a little birdy, but not totally on fire just yet...
And then he locks up into a beautiful paw up point!
3 hens come boiling out, and then just a couple seconds later, a rooster flushes right behind me! I attempt to pivot around and proceed to fire 3 warning shots!!
All that work and walking for a darn miss!!!! I'm still sick about that one!

As part of your training you may want to consider hunting him with another pointing dog. Would be a good way to see if he'll honor point, be aggressive, or just have any other quirks. Dogs need to learn to hunt with other dogs, plus two dogs working together is a thing of beauty.

As part of your training you may want to consider hunting him with another pointing dog. Would be a good way to see if he'll honor point, be aggressive, or just have any other quirks. Dogs need to learn to hunt with other dogs, plus two dogs working together is a thing of beauty.

Yep, hunting with another dog is, should be, and will be part of the training process,...but that kind of goes without saying.

I didn't include it in the original post, but I guess it bears mentioning now.

On Saturday, about 1/2 way through our second walk, we get a phone call from the land owner telling us that a guy that hunts his property now and then is up from Texas for deer season and had called him to see if he could bird hunt a draw of his.

He told him he already had people hunting but he was more than welcome to talk with us to see if he could join us.
Honestly, my first thought was,..."UHHHHG!" I didn't like the idea at all. I won't hunt with just anyone, and especially with a pup on his first few hunts. There are just too many things that can go wrong.
Anyway, he finds us and then meets us at the truck. I was fully prepared to tell him I wasn't comfortable with the situation, but after chatting at the tailgate for almost a half hour, and explaining we weren't shooting bumped birds, and him telling us about his previous dog that was recently inducted into the Bird Dog Hall of Fame,...I felt a lot more comfortable! And, as it turned out, he just wanted someone to hunt with and took us to HIS spots!

So, his current dog was a 5 year old EP. J?ger and "Patch" did the puppy greeting, sniffing, and a quick romp and chase, and that was about it!

While hunting, if I saw J?ger getting preoccupied with concentrating on Patch, a quick,... "Leave him alone" would get him right back to the task at hand.
But honestly, I don't think I even had to say it more than 2 times.
He knows what "Leave er alone" means, because that's what I tell him when I can tell Penny (our JRT) has been antagonized enough. ;)

His dog on dog socialization was a high priority for me this summer. I even took him to dog parks on several occasions, (a place I'm not real fond of) just for the interaction.
Although he still has a TON of puppy in him, I haven't witnessed any dog aggression whatsoever.
I'm also real curious as to whether he'll back/honor. We found 2 big coveys, and a few of their singles, while hunting with Patch and his owner, but every darn time they were far apart and it just never played out into a backing scenario.
But, I have a feeling that he will.

Back