Thanksgiving Pheasant Hunt

Planning to head to South Dakota the week of Thanksgiving for some Pheasant hunting. Going DYI on public grounds. Been reading a lot on here and SD Hunting Page. Thinking of staying around the Kimball area. Will have a group of 4-6 guys and two setters. Anyone have any good things to say about The Kimball area? Or any other areas that we should look into? I have requested the Pheasant Packet from SD website so once that arrives I'll have some more info to make a decisio . Thanks for any responses, we are all extremely excited as this is our first trip!

We hunted not far from there last Thanksgiving and it was a zoo. It was almost as bad as opening weekend. I won't hunt Thanksgiving or opening weekend again.

A friend of mine hunts private land near Kimball.2012 and 2013 were slow; last it improved. I believe they hunt north of I90.

Last year Brule County was rated #2 in harvest numbers; these survey numbers are on the SD Game and Fish website.

Have you made reservations yet...might be crowded!

I live in kimball and have for 12 years. I hunt thanksgiving weekend every year with my family and rarely see anyone else. But we aren't out pounding public ground, maybe thats where everyone is.

I have been going out that week for the last 20 years and have always found it to be not that busy. The bars and restaurants are slow. For the most part the locals are done hunting and the out of state crowd has really thinned out. I hunt 10-12 miles south of kimball. The birds are usually bunched up and if you can find good available cover you should do fine. I cannot speak to the quality of the habitat on the state land as I have always hunted private. Best of luck... Club vega serves up a good steak

Thinking of heading north to Miller, found a house to rent up that way that accommodates our group a little better than a hotel! Thanks for the input guys!!

Back