Tactics?

Jonjhawk

This is the first season we are going mostly for quail as we have a newly trained dog and can't make the drive all to get to the pheasant. I was wondering what are some of your tips for going after quail?

If you're in Kansas. Look for beans and cover. Let the dog out of the truck and follow it. We usually find more quail in the beans, pheasants in the corn, and in milo you get both. Not always true but from my Kansas experience that's how it works. Let the dog roll. No better training than finding and retrieving wild birds.

Quail have been difficult to pattern for me in Kansas, so many times I have been in what I was sure could only be quail cover, and a big ol' ringneck rooster explodes in my face! Pheasant Whisperer is right "let the dog out of the truck and follow it".

Thanks for the replies, my dad my brother and i are all going out for our first quail trip together so was looking for any advice. Thanks!

We Generally find good numbers where there is a decent amount of woody /shrubby cover near native grass and grain fields . Do alright on pasture birds where there is no row crop to . Pasture always native grass with a decent amount of weeds

How about tactics after you flush the covey?

Shoot straight?😳

Ok a little more seriously. Pick one bird to shoot. I know that sounds like a no brainer, but many inexperienced quail hunters get so excited by the flush and all the birds in the air just flock shoot and don't hit anything. After the initial flush there are all sorts of opinions on what to do next. The thing most would agree to is don't shoot out the whole covey. How many quail is it neccesary to leave in a covey so they can survive? I don't know, but we usually make sure there are at least 10 left. I usually am only comfortable chasing a covey for 1 more flush. I believe that making quail take flight more than 2 times can have adverse affects on the quail. I am sure there are many on here that would give you different advice, but that's mine.

Hunt cover that looks good for deer. Woody , shrubby next to food. As mentioned , don't covey shoot. Pick out birds .Watch where the covey goes , there will be singles scattered about. I like larger ammo. 6's. I know some will call me crazy , just works for me.

Seems like it best to let the singles sit about 30 minutes before hunting. This seems more of a rule in Kansas as opposed to Missouri. Difference in soil type?

Hope everyone manages their coveys well.

Seems like it best to let the singles sit about 30 minutes before hunting. This seems more of a rule in Kansas as opposed to Missouri. Difference in soil type?

Hope everyone manages their coveys well.

My Dad says they fly further in Kansas because of more open ground so they get airwashed a little more, and less humidity on the prairie than the humidity of Missouri. I've heard soil type before also.

Quail are in the edges...edge of the field...edge of the wooded area....edge of the brushy area....unless they are nestled down in the middle of a wooded draw with lots of brushy cover in the center....they will surprise you, but usually they like the edges for the ease of escape...i think.

Last year, rolling up to a WIHA, a hawk caused a covey to flush. They flew into a tree next to the road. They didn't care I parked next to them and did some bird watching. Tree with long thorns.

The most productive quail advice I ever got was to pause periodically for 30 seconds or so while walking, much like when hunting bunnies.

This thread is getting kind of older, hope your season is going well. As several have said I?ve always have had my best luck finding them around beans with good overhead cover (old fencerows and the like) with cover underneath on edge. Keep an eye out for roosts, they don?t usually travel far between roosting cover, feed, etc. Always taught count 8-10 before taking any on the rise, pick one (resist the group shot) mark them good when they get down and go after those singles. After they are broke up, listen, sometimes they will start calling and coveying right around you. Other than that just follow that dog. Just my observations.

Quick question on the subject. How late in the day do you hunt them? Stop an hour before dark? Earlier?

Depends on the weather. I say an hour and a half or two before dark. Gives them time to covey back up. If I accidentally bump em while hunting pheasants late I just let em go. Usually the bulk of the covey stays together when they land with one or two stragglers. But they can get back together pretty quick if you dont bust em into singles.

If you can find milo at least in eastern ks it's almost guaranteed to have at least 2 coveys if cover is adequate. Also I quit hunting them 2 hours before sunset. If it's bitter cold I don't hunt them at all.

You guys read my mind I. Gearing up to head to Nebraska quail & pheasant hunting & I was also going to say something bout not hunting quail till dark most days maybe last day of trip u get a pass but there covey birds even if night temps are not below freezing they can be susceptible to predators if broken up to late in day & can't covey back up b4 dark they need at least like 8 birds I think to be protected read it in a QF article...

Also once u bust a covey watch wait & listen if no re grouping calls herd whistle Bob white a few times b4 you head off again u mite get a response...

Back