SXS shotguns

Labradinger

The other shotgun thread prompted me to make this one. The negative reviews on the CZ’s having barrels that are several inches off got me wondering about other brands. Please post if youve patterned one and it’s been off or on. Prior to diggin into some searches online before buying one, it never dawned on me that these can be so off. Seems that after making dbl barrels for 150 years or so, the ability to make the barrels line up would be as standard as making a safety function. Guess not.

The other shotgun thread prompted me to make this one. The negative reviews on the CZ’s having barrels that are several inches off got me wondering about other brands. Please post if youve patterned one and it’s been off or on. Prior to diggin into some searches online before buying one, it never dawned on me that these can be so off. Seems that after making dbl barrels for 150 years or so, the ability to make the barrels line up would be as standard as making a safety function. Guess not.
I got my Bobwhite back from the warranty issue in less than 2 weeks and took it out this weekend. It patterned good and both barrels had the same point of impact. I even went 3 for 3 on planted quail :) I realize not much of a challenge but I was happy

Was there a poi warranty issue? How do they fix that, completely rebarrel?
I should have specified sorry, I had not even live fired the gun yet just many snap caps. The safety stuck and the rear trigger would not fire. The explanation I got was debris stuck in the action.

Lab,

I have only owned LC Smith or my London made guns. They have all been spot-on for regulation.

I've loved SXSs for 55 years. Never had an issue. Current using an AYA sxs 20ga, imp cyl and mod, single trigger, auto ejection. Made in 1963, purchased by me in 1970.

Never occurred to me to blame the shotgun Duh. Although I never had any hunting partners say "It was the gun, Kis. You were spot on."

Have fun, be safe.

They fit me very well, my only concern is the poi issues ive read about. Please report back once youve shot it and let us know how it goes.

I own two sxs shotguns. I purchased a 16 gauge Stevens 5100 at a garage sale several years ago for $100. The left muzzle was damaged. I tapped an appropriate size socket into the muzzle to make it concentric, but it still did not shoot to point of aim.

I then removed some metal from the choke using a rotary stone. It now shoots where it belongs. I use the gun for hunting and last week, I shot my first 25 straight on a skeet field with it.

I also have a 410 bore Savage 311. It was in new condition when I purchased it but the left barrel was several inches off at 16 yards. Using a small rotary stone, I adjusted its point of impact to match point of aim.

I have since adjusted two guns for friends at the local gun club.

I've always been a fan of the SxS. Shot quail early on with the family Stevens 311 hammer 12 ga. Then went through a progression of Mossberg 500 16 ga, 870 12, 1100 12, and my pheasant magnet Beretta m391 12 and 686 Onix Sporting. These days my SxS is a Dickinson Estate 16 ga, the stock could use an adjustment for fit but I really like it. Cheesy recently got a Uggie mod 30 20 ga that fits much better. I could hardly miss on backyard clays when he brought it over.

Back