Surrogator or Not???

Get Rid of the horses and let your creek bottom grow like it used to and you will have plenty of pheasants like it did before you turned it into a horse pastor. This will save you money on buying a surrogator and you won't have to spend money on feeding horses, simple economics.:eek:

Horses are doing great along with our new cattle! We love the farm life! We have tons of pheasants and I didn't have to release any on any tree farms. I love all the cheap shots....just remember those who take care of the farm are living on the farm.

Get Rid of the horses and let your creek bottom grow like it used to and you will have plenty of pheasants like it did before you turned it into a horse pastor. This will save you money on buying a surrogator and you won't have to spend money on feeding horses, simple economics.:eek:

Had horses and cattle for years, quail coveys feed and go to the waterhole in the shadow of a horse or cow, Quail like the bare ground that horses and cattle pound into the resting areas, and pick up "proceesed" grain and salt from the lick and resting areas. They like the shade and overhead protection of resting livestock. Shot many a limit of quail and pheasants hunting among the livestock on a stubble field, or warm season dormant pasture. How many pheasants winter in the home place feedlot? Go look and report back. While we don't need more brome and fescue monoculture pastures, the abscence of livestock might be a cause of decline of gamebirds. It's not the livestock, it's what the numb skulls plant on the advice of the local dealer, and seed merchant that hurts! I will freely admit you will save money by selling the horses.

No Question, Livestock ARE game bird friendly.
Wintering livestock, feeding areas, shelter areas that livestock and the producers that have livestock are the reason we have Ring Neck Pheasants.

Rooster Fetcher, GOOD JOB! You and folks like you will have pheasants.:thumbsup:

Horses are doing great along with our new cattle! We love the farm life! We have tons of pheasants and I didn't have to release any on any tree farms. I love all the cheap shots....just remember those who take care of the farm are living on the farm.
With all the pheasant, why even consider the need for the surrogator, unless you have some expendable income?
Looked into this thread(yes, went back into archives to refrain from taking the lazy way out and starting a new thread. Found a wealth of info without having to stir up a hornets nest all over again) because I saw the surrogator on tv and it peaked my curiosity. I thought it may be what I need. In the course of re-enrolling my 80 farm located in S E Iowa into CRP, I replanted it last spring in CP4D, with areas of diversified habitat. Unfortunately I picked a tough time due to the draught to establish a new habitat planting. Regardless, to some extent, my reason for considering the surrogator was seeking instant results as far as bird pops. Being somewhat impatient, human nature tends to direct us down the "quick fix" path. We are fortunate to have birds residing on the property, pheasant and quail, based on earlier excursions. But we all know how our environment can affect that. The only constant in this equation will be habitat. All else is out of our hands. Over the years, I've seen the bird numbers fluctuate, not really seeing more than a moderate population. When I began this project, I started with the belief "If you build it, they will come!" Time will tell, all my money is on habitat. Besides, with work being slow, I have no expendable income to add birds. At least I feel I did the best I could with what was available and am comfortable with it.
Thanks to all who took the time to impart their knowledge and insight, as varied as it may be. Each situation is unique, we just have to weigh the facts and decide what is best for us.

Back