Suggestions for first timer to the Ft. Pierre NG?

shinbone

Hi All,

This will be my first year bird hunting on my own. I have previously always gone hunting with others, relying on their dogs to find the birds. This was on the east coast and we chased mostly ruffed grouse, with an occasional quail or stocked pheasant trip for variety.

I now live in Denver and have my own dog, an 18 month GSP who has a good nose and search pattern, but is just starting to learn the art of finding and pointing birds.

I will be heading up to the Pierre area in a few days looking to get my dog on pheasants and sharpies. I am planning on hunting the National Grasslands and any Walk-In Areas I can find. I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions anyone may have for cheap-but-good motels and retaurants, or to help me get on birds.

Thanks!

--shinbone

5b53e56f.jpg

Hunted the FPNG last year, DIY, for the first time. Find the areas that have a food source in the immediate vicinity. Plenty of grass to walk and let your dog range. We found more grouse (Sharpies/Chickens) than pheasant but we did find them. Can't help with lodging as we camped in Farm Island Campground that was underwater this year. I do recommend Pizza Ranch as a cheap location for dinner. Buffet every night.

Motel

Ft Pierre Motel
211 S. 1st Street Hwy 83 S.
Fort Pierre SD
1.800.286.0895 or 605.223.3111

Hunter friendly, not fancy, but clean enough!

There are a number of motels in Pierre as well, and lots of places to eat.

Good luck- I hunted sharptails and chickens three weeks ago...and had a heck of a time keeping the dogs out of pheasants! As noted, keep close to cropfields for pheasants....and walk and walk for sharpies!

Thanks for the info, everyone. That is all very helpful. I leave tonight and can't wait to get boots and paws on the ground around Pierre.

pheasantaddict - yes, my dog is a Deutsch Kurzhaar. He is Einzige vom Trocken Boch ("Ziggy"), from Frank O'Leary's kennel in Walla Walla, Washington. He is out of Quickstep vom Hege Haus x Claudia vom Hege Haus. He has a great nose and loves to find birds. At 18 months old, he is also a big goofball with alot of personality. He is great fun to hunt with.

Ziggy was going crazy with excitement last night when he realized I was packing the car for a trip and saw/smelled the guns coming out of the basement and going into the car. I had a heck of a time keeping him from jumping into the back of the car everytime I opened it up to put another piece of gear in. He would have happily slept in the car last night and all day today while I am at work if I had let him. The knucklehead.

--shinbone

Last edited:
FUNNY........That's one of the things you have to love about our sport and this time of year. Oh ya, and the excitable young dogs. It's contagious!!

Ric

Shin..
Are you back yet with a report?
I am headed that on friday.

Carpfisher - After hunting in the NG I moved onto hunting around Mitchell. I can say in both places the bird numbers are about 50% down. The hunting is still good, though.

--shinbone

No sharpies, but I did get a couple of prairie chickens.

I've received a few questions about hunting the NG. This was my first time chasing birds in the NG so I am far from an expert, but for anyone who has questions please send me a PM and I will respond.

--shinbone

Last edited:
Shinbone-

I too am first timer to pierre, sd and to south dakota for that matter.... what tips would you give me as far as what to look for to find birds in the area? What type of public hunting did you mostly find available, etc. I really appreciate the help!

thanks, i'll post when we get back.

pierre has birds like i have never seen before of course this was my first time in sd but if you cant kill your limit every single day in and around that area you might want to try a different sport, we hunted the southern part of the state working our way back to kc and maybe saw one or two birds stay way north look for cattails or any cover around sunflower seed fields corn you will be in good shape and for you go getters out ther bring you a pair of rubber boots walk the cattails in the water and hang on i promise there will be pheasants in there soth dak was great for an experience way way to easy no quail i mean i could of had my limit in 2 3 hrs easy but i waited on pointed birds it was really kind of boring to me it was so easy but to each is own ks is my upland fav place my friends asked if i would come back i said no to far to easy to expensive but it was fun and a great place for a young first timer

A few photos from my trip

The Grasslands is a beautiful place and I had a great time.

b7489f5d.jpg

900816a7.jpg

--shinbone

Last edited:
OAP,

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. We leave on Friday for 5 days of hunting in the Aberdeen SD area. I can't wait!!!!

870-Lefty: Yes, that is a 16ga Philadelphia Fox Sterlingworth. It is choked Skeet and Improved Modified, which I find ideal. The gun was custom restocked by the previous owner who was about my size. Consequently, the gun has modern stock dimensions and it fits me perfectly. I can say that the gun is a dream to hunt with. It fits in my hand perfectly to carry easily, it points fast and the 16ga packs a good punch. It doesn't get any better than that.

--shinbone

Back