Success!!!! (Finally....)

I can't even begin to count the chances i've missed this year even behind a good dog. Way to go, breaking the ice is the hardest part mentally after walking so many miles!

Now that you've bagged your first pheasant, you're on your way to years of successful hunting.

Congrats, I remember my first wild pheasants, in Indiana (my first), then the first bird in Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan and S Dakota. As well as my sons, such great memories that will last forever.

hunting pheasants with out a dog

I started pheasant hunting 45 years ago, with out any canine help. I marvel I was ever able to kill a bird in those days!
they seem to have gotten smarter due to pressure and it is late season too!
Congrats! YOU will love pheasant hunting with a dog! I promise! :10sign:

Me too

Finally. 11 year old grandson connected. Best bird I ever put in my pouch. Got with his SA-08 20 gauge. The gun I bought him this year.

Thanks

We really worked at it this fall. We shot two to three rounds of trap a week for months this summer and fall at the North Bristol gun club. He got that bird yesterday at Oasis Pheasant Preserve in New Glarus. (Good cheap place with nice land if you are interested) He hunted several times and missed a lot of birds before he finally connected. The hardest part for him is that my pointer will pin the bird but the shooter has to walk in and flush it. When you're eleven and the bird gets up right between your legs, well that takes a little getting used to. The best part of hunting with a kid is teaching them and watching them learn how to read the dog. My dog moves like a cat when she is birdy, crouches down and almost crawls. She had 14 close points yesterday and he finally hit one. I'm trying to get my grandson ready for SD, but we got some work to do yet. You got to love those pen raised birds, so cooperative. That never happens in SD.

Thanks a lot guys! but I think I may have misrepresented myself. this was not my first rooster overall, just my first rooster this season. this is my second season hunting, but my first hunting based on my own research and scouting. I did all the prep work myself. this year I found tons of birds, but this was the first one I connected with. lesson learned this season: when you get a new shotgun, always always ALWAYS take it to the range and pattern it out before you hunt with it. I find it no coincidence that this rooster was the first thing I shot at after I did that and it is now dead and in my freezer.

Finally. 11 year old grandson connected. Best bird I ever put in my pouch. Got with his SA-08 20 gauge. The gun I bought him this year.

PRICELESS:coolpics::10sign::cheers:

Back