Storms affecting pheasants in Eastern SoDak?

andyperry07

Anyone have any idea what this weather has been doing to the pheasant nesting success in Eastern So dak? East of Mitchell area is where I hunt. Can they survive alot of rain or will they need to re nest. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

I heard the same news regarding flooding rains in that part of the state a couple weeks back. I still haven't had anyone confirm it to be the case or not:confused:

If things were truly that bad, it's still early enough for birds to re-nest if conditions dry up/improve.

Time will tell.;)

area between huron and mitchell varies between fairly dry to fairly wet, though no real extremes. my food plots just got planted yesterday....we have had about 3 inches of rain in the past 10-14 days...my farmer pal didn't say it was overly wet when discing or planting in the past day or two...I have a fair number of contacts out there who cover a fair swath of Eastern SD....one did tell me he was near sioux falls and there was some standing water in fields in that part of the state....

Thanks for the update Benelli:thumbsup:

Nick.

South East SD and South West Mn got hit hard yesterday. with the Split rock Creek and Rock River basins taking the hardest hit.
Looks like Kennebec/Chamberlain area is getting hammered this morning.

I spent fathers day at my daughter and son in laws house in Luverne Mn, where she had 18 inches of water in her newly finished lower level (March)

Very depressing..

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/LuverneAreaChatter

Last edited:
All the rain in the past 2 weeks in parts of the Midwest can't be good for young broods. We are getting drenched again today in Watertown, SD and they say there is more to come this week.

Send some my way Zeb--I've only had 1.83" in Jun and only .06" in the last week-it's been a week since I planted food plots--go figure :(

I was in northern Manitoba when much of this occurred. The wheatfields in much of Manitoba are not yet planted or extremely wet. Duck hunting up there should be great!!!
My best guess is the rain in the east was not good, but this is not the best area in the state by any means. Could hurt me locally, just NW of Sioux Falls, but overall I think things are better than last season which was much better than anticipated. So far the only chick I have seen was at a gas station where it must have fallen off a grille! 7-10 days old I'd guess.
Take a deep breath and wait for more reports.

I was checking cows the other day in NW Iowa and saw a hen take a large brood across an open spot, they couldn't have been more than a few days old. This was right after we had a solid week of storms. One four inch rain and a couple smaller ones.

Survival of the fit.

Any low ground has been flooded around me. Big Sioux or Rock River ground got it bad. Some areas have gotten 6 plus inches in one shot but that has been spotty. Can't help but think that took some chicks out.

Mike, thanks for the update. We are bone dry at the farm and could actually use some rain.

I know when I travel between Mpls and Lake Andes I see how hard the area east of Sioux Falls got it. That would be all the east to Albert Lea and even up to the Twin Cities. I don't see the drowned out low crop areas as you head west of Sioux Falls.

Spot spraying last of thistle like mad man. Seeing broods of all sizes and hens sitting tight with no broods meaning more is on the way.

Back