STORING SHOT SHELLS

TennesseeTraveler

I have been thinking (proving that I should stop...) but has anyone found or had success with any kind of tote where shot shells could be stored in a room that is not climate controlled? I bought a "weatherproof" plastic tote that had 6 clamp closures- 2 on each long side and 1 on each short side. The lid has a rubber gasket in a recessed groove. There is good force required to engage each of the 6 clamps making one think an effective seal occurred. However, I used a Sensor Push transmitter to track the humidity in the tote. The sensor showed the exact movement from out of the gun safe and into the tote and then showed continued increase in humidity inside the tote with the lid on- until I turned on a de-humidifier in the finished basement. With the changes in humidity readings, it is evident my bright idea failed.

Has anyone found a container that would hold a large number of boxed shells and was "vapor tight"?

Am I trying to do something that should be attempted?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

It could but I would need 3 or 4. I have been lucky enough to find a number of estate sales and country hardware store closings where I have bought hunting loads. The only new loads I have bought have been flats of 12 and 16 gauge non-toxic loads. I imagine that I will have to buy any loads for the rest of my lifetime - if I can keep these shells viable. I would like to get them out of the living area and into the garage.

I will keep an eye out at garage sales and test the cooler the same way that I did with the container.

If the shells are inside, I don't see a reason to need them to be stored in a completely non humid environment. Keeping them in a tote with the lid off is probably going to be less humid than in a sealed tote. As the temp in the tote rises from being enclosed, the warmer air can't escape and probably will be prone to humidity more than something that can breath.

Idk how humid your basement is, but mine is usually around 30-40% in the summer time. I'd think shells will last a long time at that rate without over thinking it.

Munster, what you bring up may prove my idea undesirable. If I were to store these in a room that was not climate controlled, the summer temps would rise- which may raise humidity even if the tote was sealed.

BTW, my basement was (yesterday) between 60-65%.

I have a basement under my garage. I put one of these in it. Humidity runs no more 35-40% all year. Everything stores just fine in there. Water gets pumped outside, never have to fool with it. Maybe clean the filter once or twice a year.

Midea 50 Pint SMART Dehumidifier With Pump - For Rooms up to 4,500 Sq. Ft. - Ideal For Basements, Large & Medium Sized Rooms, Energy Star Certified (White)​

$200

Home Depot or Lowe's have similar items.

Chestles idea is more what I would do. Id try and control the humidity in the basement as a whole more so than the storage location.

You could even try one of those Damp Rid buckets. I've never tried one but see them at the local hardware stores. Might be a cheaper alternative as a test for whatever room you store your shells in before buying a dehumidifier unit.

Mine are in the basement in a cedar chest. Looks like a chest freezer. No problems at all. Basement fluctuates between 30 to 45 % but I run a dehumidifier in summer set on 40%. Had them in this for 20 years. Works for me.

Eh not sure on tote for non climate controlled. But dehumidifier in basement or wherever is the ticket. Best for house and everything else.

Factory shot shells don't really need to be stored in a climate-controlled area. I pulled out some 12 gauge shells that have been in the garage for 20 plus years. last year and they shot fine. All my shells are stored in a file cabinet. pistol and rifle shells in the house.

I think everyone has pointed the direction that I need to move towards. I was hoping to get the shells out of the house by using ”vapor tight” containers. I will organize something within the climate controlled area to get them a little more out of the way. I really appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and the manner in which everyone tackles this challenge.

Good people sharing good knowledge about one of or favorite hobbies….

Maybe an old refrigerator or chest freezer. I’ve stored buffalo grass seed in coolers to hold it over for until the next season seemed to germinate fine.

I have some shells that have been in my basement for 15 years and many boxes have been there 1- 5 years ... they all work great when a box is pulled out for use.

I have also have plenty of steel shot stored in my garage (in MN) so they have seen extremes in temperature and humidity. They all perform fine too when pulled into action.

Most plastic shells are sealed pretty watertight.

I think you are overthinking things unless you are at the point you are so humid you are seeing condensation.

That said for what you describe in your original post, I would buy surplus 50 cal ammo cans and add some desiccant packs.

Back