Steel Shot choke tubes

I'm in the market for a steel shot choke tube for my stoeger m300.
I was looking at the Carlsons at bass pro, but don't know what to look for.
What do you guys think?
Thanks
Edgar

The Carlson's make a good tube and so does Trulock. Just make sure you are using nothing tighter than a modified with steel. Steel is too hard to be shooting thru tighter tubes. Steel being harder that lead with not deform and will do damage to the barrel if using a Improved Modified or a full choke:eek:.

Question are you hunting waterfowl or upland?

Kick'em Up
CZ -USA
Pro Staff

The Carlson's make a good tube and so does Trulock. Just make sure you are using nothing tighter than a modified with steel. Steel is too hard to be shooting thru tighter tubes. Steel being harder that lead with not deform and will do damage to the barrel if using a Improved Modified or a full choke:eek:.

Kick'em Up
CZ -USA
Pro Staff

Good advice. :thumbsup:

My Invector Plus/Browning tubes are marked for lead and steel. If shooting steel, the choke is treated as one notch tighter. For example, the modified for lead is considered full for steel. Thus, can't shoot steel through the full choke at all.

Kick'em Up
CZ -USA
Pro Staff

Thanks kick'em! I am upland hunting. I will have to use steel shot this year due too area i will be in.

My Invectra tubes are marked for lead and steel. If shooting steel, the choke is treated as one notch tighter. For example, the modified for lead is considered full for steel. Thus, can't shoot steel through the full choke at all.

My beretta tubes say SP for steel proof I believe. The book mentions numerous times to never go more than a modified.

I have been shooting steel this year because I have a ton of ammo from when I used to waterfowl hunt. So far I like the performance I am seeing, and I still have all my teeth.

My stoeger came with chokes but im not convinced they will work for steel! Better be safe than sorry!

I would check the owners manual, they might work. But I agree, if they don't specifically say they are approved for steel, I wouldn't take the chance. Choke tubes aren't that expensive, and some of them can improve performance quite a bit, especially in some of the extended waterfowl ones.

I have been hunting waterfowl for years here in NJ. To this point we can still use lead for upland. When waterfowl hunting I use Cyl and IC over decoys with an O/U, and IC with an autoloader. These would be the same chokes that I would use for upland over a pointer, shooting steel. If I would be hunting over a flushing dog I may go to IC and Mod. in the O/U and Mod in an autoloader just in case the dog gets out a bit to far.
As to brand of choke I shoot Berettas and Brownings. Both have steel proof chokes and I shoot the factory chokes. Never felt the need for an aftermarket choke. However, if I had to buy an aftermarket choke it would probably be a Trulock. The reason for this is, my Browning Citori comes from the Miroku factory with Miroku manufactured chokes (verified by Browning). However, if you were to buy additional chokes from Browning they are Trulocks. If Trulock is good enough for Browning it's good enough for me. Hope this helps.

TruLock

Never felt the need for an aftermarket choke. However, if I had to buy an aftermarket choke it would probably be a Trulock. The reason for this is, my Browning Citori comes from the Miroku factory with Miroku manufactured chokes (verified by Browning). However, if you were to buy additional chokes from Browning they are Trulocks. If Trulock is good enough for Browning it's good enough for me. Hope this helps.

+1 for TruLock. Just bot a TruLock Light Mod (SK2) choke for my BUL 12. Hoping to put the smackdown on some SoDak roosters next week. TruLock also makes chokes for Benelli.

They are good folks to deal with, prices are good and shipping was fast. This choke says "approved for steel shot" right on the barrel. I wouldn't trust steel shot in any choke unless it specifies it right on the choke.

NB

Last edited:
Tulock chokes

I have had good results with the SK 2 Turlock matched with an IC in my Browning Lighting. I have also found the SK 2 to be great in an Win SX 3. I like the SK 2 Trulock with steel for ducks. My only problem is two of my sons also like those guns. I then use my 870 that has been with me for most of my hunting life.

I shoot a Carlson mid range .705 black cloud with 3" black cloud close range for public land where steel is required. My son shoots a prairie storm by carlsons, I think his is called late season .700 think that's IM but they say for use with steel,lead,copper or hevi shot. I also have a black cloud long range by carlsons .695 full made for steel. All pattern great out of both our SBEll. Forgot we also have a early season prairie storm .710?? Light Mod no experience with this yet
Also note some of the tighter IM-F in these particular chokes require 1550 fps or slower. Good to check with them on the true specks in case I'm wrong. Good luck!

Thanks Guys! I am leaning towards a carlsons choke. I found this one here: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104717880;cat104202180
Is it better to use and extended choke or are these ok? Ive always used these for lead but never for steel. Sorry for the stupid questions!

I haven't looked at the link but I do like to be able to change them in the field with out a wrench. I've also heard that the extended tube protects the muzzle from damage because of the hard steel shot????

My stoeger came with chokes but im not convinced they will work for steel! Better be safe than sorry!

I can't believe any gun or chokes sold in the last 20 years (or longer) aren't made for steel. I would check with Stoeger, and save my money, unless you want extended tubes for ease of use/changing. Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

I can't believe any gun or chokes sold in the last 20 years (or longer) aren't made for steel. I would check with Stoeger, and save my money, unless you want extended tubes for ease of use/changing. Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

The chokes that came with the Stoeger are fine with non-tox (Steel) shot up to modified choke. Not recommended for anything tighter.

The chokes that came with the Stoeger are fine with non-tox (Steel) shot up to modified choke. Not recommended for anything tighter.

I just referred to my manual. Although it does say they can be used for steel i have heard otherwise. I guess people having problems when they try to take them off they can't. Maybe they got a defective one? Or maybe they are just people who give stoeger and benelli a bad name?

We'll.. i 'm not sure what you've heard but that is what the spec lists right in the manual.

If you have some reservations or concerns then contact Stoeger and inquire.

Kick'em Up
CZ -USA
Pro Staff

Hey ktu. I've never shot steel before but will be on my thanksgiving trip. I have a box of PS steel 3" I'll be running through my 20ga redhead deluxe. I won't have time to pattern so I'm thinking about starting out running them through my cyl/ ic tubes and adjusting if need be. Does that sound like a plan?

Back