Spooked the few ducks I approached..

Kismet

UPH Guru
Corn is still standing tall and noisy. I am not "stealthy" walking along the edge of the crik.We moved all the birds long before we were within range.

Mick liked it, 'cuz he got to splash his way all the way back to the road.

Only noticed a couple of groups of 4 or 5 woodies as I moved along the water's edge, or peered through the stalks. We've been out four times.

Anyone do well?

No mallards spotted at all, and usually I'll see a couple of transients on opening week-end.

I tried a new area on Saturday and found out I was at a major disadvantage without a boat and a mud motor. Preseason scouting fail but I did get a goose.

Sunday I shot clays.

I'm not a duck hunter and need some pheasant hunting.

I'm not a duck hunter, but have hunted ducks a few times. This past weekend shot 2 grouse and 2 woodcock over Max. The first grouse of the year were a double, one with each barrel. Pretty lousy weather, though. Windy as all getout. Rained all day Saturday, after getting snow overnight. Was planning on going after some walleyes, but the wind 15-20 mph out of the NW convinced me pretty quick not to go that route. Instead, a bloody mary after cleaning birds, stoked the fire and watched the Badgers blow it against Northwestern.

Got out on Saturday and Sunday.

Saturdays weather was a big change from the last weekend when we hunted the northern opener. We got to our spot at about 6:00 and played the hurry up and wait game until the opener at 9:00. It was pretty cool to see it snowing, but it didn't feel like the begining of October. Ended up with 1 woody and 1 mallard.

Sunday we had a beautiful sunrise and called it quits mid morning with 1 woody and 2 mallards.

The dog had some nice blind retrieves in the wild rice. :cheers:

The duck hunters were blasting away this morning on Lake Wausau and the Eau Claire Flowage. Clear skies, water like glass at sunrise.

Did great on wood ducks during the week after work the last few days but today there was hunters all over and the ducks are getting skiddish.

Killed more of them over decoys than jump shooting. I might turn into duck hunter yet.:rolleyes:

Back