spaniel field trials in Manor

SALLYSUE

Went to my first spaniel field trials this weekend very very inpressed . Makes me wanna move where there's those types of birds

Last edited:
Actually, this was the Heart of Texas Trial. (SallySue, it was good meeting you & your wife:cheers:) You're talking about the North Texas Clubs trial. Several of that club members were there this weekend & they said the problem was not the grounds on the day of the trial, it was that the judges flights were canceled & the bird supplier couldn't deliver.

It was just weather that we're not prepared for, no salt, no road clearing equip., etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to meet you too David . Really enjoyed everything including the lunch. Stay in touch . Had to pass on a trip this weekend to S tx account I promise the grand kids a white bass trip . Stay in touch

Springer, it sounds like you got more info than I did. I was surprised to hear they postponed it but I'm 6 1/2 hrs. From there.

SS, I heard you pass on that puppy. You should come back in April & watch a hunt test. You'll see some Boykins & other breeds work & might see something that suits you.

Well my apologies Nim and ss, I should not have brought up a slightly touchy subject like at. Normally as you saw these events are so much fun, till ya bomb out LOL. It becomes addicting. All the clubs will do there very best to put on a first class show for the most part. It takes dedicated people and a ton of work.:thumbsup:

Springer, I sent you a pm but you need to clear some space to rec. It.

You don't owe me any apology.:cheers:

I just realized that, I was wondering what was going on.LOL. OH this is getting hillarious now. Red neck minnesotan any way. LOL:D
:cheers: I tell ya what I wish I was in TX now at a dang trial.:D we can't do nothin because of the stupid snow. I do suppose they don't have snow plows in TX.:cheers: I almost was coming to Houston to buy a truck, and train down there a few days, but the guy sent it to auction by mistake. He is trying to get it back. I had a friend in Jersy Village go look at it and it was gone. I might have cought Gary and a couple others for a warm day of running. Gotta keep looking I guess.:mad: Nice no rust TX ford 4x4 at a great price. I hope he figures it out. Maybe I will run in that trial that was put off. Not sure about entrys, it is just email to them folks I see. no premium.:confused:

Come on down, I'll be gunning. You never know what kind of weather you'll get but the odds are pretty good it'll be better than you've got.

I was hoping to meet up some day and I'm sure we will. If not now, probably next year.I think I will be working in Houston to pay for the trip again. Just hope I don't have to scratch the dogs to go to a cancer ward again:D thats my unlucky place. I would have liked to run under Tom. Did you win?

Well I still know how words can come across in a negitive instead of a joking manner. So apoligizes sent. I removed the post. Hope you dont mind.:cheers: After all it was about thinking things through I said.:D
Especialy when it comes to this sort of thing. SS, if you get any kind of spaniel, hunt tests are sort of similar and enjoyable too. And it does not matter which one you can run them all in a spaniel hunt test. The Trials you saw are just ESS as you seen. If you can hook up with Nim, or some of the other folks down there I refered you to, you will get going in a good direction.:thumbsup:

Springer, it sounds like you got more info than I did. I was surprised to hear they postponed it but I'm 6 1/2 hrs. From there.

SS, I heard you pass on that puppy. You should come back in April & watch a hunt test. You'll see some Boykins & other breeds work & might see something that suits you.

I really like to do that couldn't find any dates . Can ya help thanks SS

So are any of you going to be at the N. Texas Sporting Spaniel FT next weekend? I'm thinking of heading over to watch it for a while on one of the days. I'm not interested in Springers, but I'd like to watch the trail as it will closely resemble a Cocker trial.

I'm gunning both days. Two other gunners on the team run cocker trials & one's a pro trainer & breeder. Look me up & I'll introduce you.

Dave Flint

Cool, I'll be there on Saturday and will look you up. Are you from around this area, or are they bringing you in from a ways out because of your renown for shooting? :)

The Field Trial committee that is holding the event selects a Gun Team Captain who selects the gunners. I'm only about 6 hrs. away.

I guess I could have just looked at your profile and seen the San Marcos. Are you the captain? My understanding is that even being a gunner in one of the Spaniel FTs is a pretty prestigious position.

No, I'm not a Captain. I've only been shooting trials for about 4 yrs but it's the most challenging and rewarding shooting game I've found. The quality of the gunning can have a huge impact on which dogs get the chance to show their retrieving skills off & conversely poor gunning can cost a good dog a placement.

Everybody on the gun team takes the job very seriously or they're not invited again.

Ya, that'd be a lot of pressure. A missed clay pigeon only effects you, but a missed bird in that situation is going to effect someone else. That'd definitely make me focus that much more. I'm looking at buying a 20ga sxs, but I'm going to hold onto my 12ga Citori in case some day I have the opportunity to gun.

Missing birds is only one of many things you do wrong gunning a spaniel trial. FCSpringer will tell you he'd rather have a gunner miss a bird for his dog than drop one from the other course right on top of him. It happens, but it's poor gunning.

The most important thing is safety. Take an unsafe shot, drop a bird too close to the gallery or pepper the bird planter & your field trial gunning career is over.

Back