South of Salina

Thrasher

I went south of Salina today. We started with a decent looking WIHA and found nothing. We went to a place that I can normally move a few birds around in and Molly pointed two hens. Nice work and strong point. My buddy moved in to flush as I tried to get my phone out to record the encounter and I missed the flush. Within 50 yards she went on point again, look at me like "What the hell?" and started creeping in. I steadied her and moved in to flush. About 20 feet in front of me (10 in front of Molly) a coyote busted out of the grass headed for Nebraska!! She has never been that close to one and I guess did not know what she was supposed to do with something that big.

We ended up with the two pointed hens early this morning and 7 flushes in range this afternoon. No roosters, but at least we are seeing hens.

I am going to have to head out west one more time this season and see if I can get my buddy on a bird.

I had a couple of coyotes stalking Indy on Friday. They are going to need to be removed from the gene pool. This was in the property that I am buying.

My son and I went out today with the dogs, on some public ground. Saw 2 covey of quail, and no pheasants.

These quail had clearly been hunted a bunch, they were running and flushing in front of the dogs like little pheasants. That is not fair, and these quail also need to be removed from the gene pool.

Back