South Dakota report

Just wanted to give a report on my hunt. It was just my dad and I.

The first day we spent 250 per gun and hunted some private land west of Pierre 30 minutes. We shot our limit very quickly because we walked a shelter belt that held hundreds of birds.

We decided the next two days that we would not do that again and instead hunt public hunting. We scouted and hunted all day the next day and shot two birds finally at sunset. That day was spent east of Pierre and Southeast of Pierre. We didn't see hardly any birds at all until the last 30 minutes of the day in some CRP.

The next day we traveled to Trip County between Presho and Winner and hunted till about 2:30. We had one long shot at a rooster which we didn't get. That was our only opportunity. I will say that the cover was much better in Trip County than a 60 mile circle around Pierre.

From this report you can see that South Dakota public lands get pounded and are very hard to get birds on. Limits can be very easy to shoot if your willing to pay 250 per gun or if you already have permision to hunt private land.

Back