snow depth map?

gps4

there was a link to an interactive snow depth map in one of the threads earlier this week. I cant find the thread. does anyone remember which one it was or have the link to the map?

Thanks!

the most snow I have ever hunted in was approx 1-2" and it was easy walking

generally speaking, at what depth does it become more trouble than it is worth to hunt?

is hunting in 6-8 inches still doable, or is it a waste of time?

thank!

the most snow I have ever hunted in was approx 1-2" and it was easy walking

generally speaking, at what depth does it become more trouble than it is worth to hunt?

thank!
If it's light/fluffy snow is no big deal, but if it's crusted over and drifted it can be a challenge. I hunted the last day of the Iowa season after a 9" snow and winds in 30 mph range. It was very tough walking as all of the snow had blown into the cover and drifted, so sometimes I was busting through 2' to 3' drifts. On top of that it had been a wet snow, then it got very crusty overnight. I walked about 6 miles but felt like I walked 20 miles.

Only you can answer that. We all have different physical capabilities.

December 2022 was brutal here in MN. By the middle of the month, there was waist high drifts and everything else was pushing knee deep. I still went, but I focused my efforts and energy on the 2 best spots I could hunt, which were both near standing corn or stands of pines. Even cattails were useless because they were completely snowed in. After trudging through it for a couple hours, you are exhausted (and quite of the dog is too, depending on the breed).

Its generally not a complete waste of time, but I would definitely approach it with the mindset that you are not going to be able to forge through it nearly as long as you normally could, so go to higher percentage spots first.

Remember running a 400 meter race?? Now do that back to back to back to back to back, then repeat at the next field. Not much fun and not really about dog work anymore. But try it for yourself and reply back.

thank!

Depends on the weather, but I find it's still worth it at about 24". Get into that 30"-60" range & you might consider staying home. 😉 Honestly, it's fairly common for me to hunt in 8"-16" late season.

It’s rarely the same depth in all places you’ll be walking…6” in some areas will be several feet in ditches, tree belts, the W/NW/N sides of cover, like cattail
sloughs. Crusty is the worst, IMO. a foot or 18” of fluffy snow is no big deal…was in drifts to my sternum last year, had to turn around a few times.

Soft snow? No problem. 4”’or more of crusted snow? The birds tend to hear you well before shooting range. Crusted snow can tear up a dogs paws as well.

It's all crusty right now too. If it'll hold you it's not bad. It you fall through every step it really sucks. Went l 6 miles the other day through it. About calf high then.

It’s rarely the same depth in all places you’ll be walking…6” in some areas will be several feet in ditches, tree belts, the W/NW/N sides of cover, like cattail
sloughs. Crusty is the worst, IMO. a foot or 18” of fluffy snow is no big deal…was in drifts to my sternum last year, had to turn around a few times.
True.I fell into a 10 foot hole one time,could have died!!

Not sure how many of you snow ski but they actually have a really big problem with this against trees and poles on the hills. People fall in the holes where there is no snow. This is called a tree well and if you fall in head first and nobody is there to help you you’re good as done.

Back