Snacks while hunting...recipe included

JMc

Super Moderator
As pheasant season opens next weekend...I always make homemade summer sausage for snacks throughout the long days. Here's my recipe...Enjoy!
[T-Tablespoon, t-teaspoon, C-Cup]

Summer Sausage

3lbs ground beef or ???
2T Mortons tender quick salt
1t salt
1/2-1t garlic powder (to taste)
1/2-1t onion powder (to taste)
1-3t red pepper flakes (to taste)
1/2t cayenne (optional)
1-3T cracked black pepper (to taste)
1/4C brown sugar
1/4C oatmeal
Dash Worcestershire
1C water

Mix all ingredients; roll into 2-3" roll and wrap in foil; refrigerate 24 hours. Remove foil bake on rack in pan at 325 for one hour.

Jim

I have a Berger King where I turn off the Highway towards my happy hunting grounds. I get 4 or 5 Whooper Jr's with mustard. That's breakfast, lunch and dinner on the drive home. :thumbsup:

If it's a cold day and the windows are up, you may not be the most popular guy in the vehicle after eating that. :eek: But it sounds delicious. :D

For between fields snacks I nosh Nature Valley granola bars.

Last edited:
I used to always grab a couple Hostess fruit pies. Grabbed a few this season and they are nasty. Too much crust, not enough filling. Practically need a quart of milk to choke one down.

I do like the summer sausage idea. Surprised no mustard seed though...

As pheasant season opens next weekend...I always make homemade summer sausage for snacks throughout the long days. Here's my recipe...Enjoy!

Summer Sausage

3lbs ground beef or ???
1t salt
1/2t cayenne (optional)
1/4C brown sugar
1/4C oatmeal
Dash Worcestershire
1C water

Mix all ingredients; roll into 2-3" roll and wrap in foil; refrigerate 24 hours. Remove foil bake on rack in pan at 325 for one hour.

Jim

the 2-3" is that diameter or length? if diameter how long, if length what diameter.....geesh these sound like online dating questions.....have you tried this in a casing? Thanks I think I will try this with venison. I make woodcock to make pate it is a great snack during a hunt.

No fancy recipes from me. When I am heading out for a long day or even a weekend trip, I try to pack a few things that are not overly affected by different temps, easy to eat, and healthy to fuel up my body.

I usually bring a few slices of bread, a jar of peanut butter, some bananas, some apples, granola bars, a lot of water. A Peanut Butter sandwich, a banana, and an apple make for a surprisingly filling lunch that is very quick while going from one field to the next.

When hunting with groups of people, it's always fun to bring along a portable grill and grill up some burgers or brats and relax for a bit.

I agree, despite the old thread, these recipes will always be relevant. So I have a recipe book from my grandmother that I kept because it contains recipes for the best pies and cakes. But there are only a few meat dishes and there are definitely no such summer sausages as in the first publication. I would like to cook this, but there is a small problem. When I was on a business trip in London, I had a health problem that caused me to take a food intolerance test in this lab https://www.intolerancelab.co.uk. Well, I found out that I have an allergic reaction to peppers of all kinds, so I won't be able to add peppers and Cayenne to this dish. Therefore, I want to know if it will lose its taste and character if I replace the pepper with other seasonings?

Last edited:

Summer Sausage

3lbs ground beef or ???
1t salt
1/2t cayenne (optional)
1/4C brown sugar
1/4C oatmeal
Dash Worcestershire
1C water

Jim

Wife makes a similar summer sausage out of ground venison, but adds cranberries. Finishes in the smoker, usually with apple or mesquite chips. Everyone who tries it practically founders themselves, and the labs would take up a life of sin for some...

Lots of variables but depending on the length of the trip and where it is- for lunches I just bring a lot of cheese, sausage and crackers. For longer trips I have a larger RTIC cooler that I pack with sliced luncheon meats, salads. My wife makes me bring some healthy stuff but what she doesn't realize doesnt hurt our marriage!
Again depending where Im staying I usually just go to a choke n puke. Too tired to do a nice meal most of the time.
Hopefully I get to do some of it this year. Hasnt been an easy year so far.

Grilling fresh pheasant breast on wood skewers over an open fire and boiling up some hot tea hits the spot. With youngsters in tow this is always their favorite part.

Summer Sausage

3lbs ground beef or ???
1t salt
1/2t cayenne (optional)
1/4C brown sugar
1/4C oatmeal
Dash Worcestershire
1C water

Jim
I made a batch of your summer sausage a few weeks ago and thought it was great. I put part of it in the freezer and just pulled it out and had some today. The time in the freezer made it even better!

Great and glad you enjoyed it. The summer sausage with a block of cheddar and some crackers can go a long way.

Back