Small Munsterlander?

ndhgm

Looking for advice and guidance on small munsterlanders.

So I have a great dog (even after my wife coddled him into submission), black pointing lab from Hunter's Marsh in Kentucky, Gunner Get'em. Probably the best all around dog I've ever had. But he is closing on 11 years old, getting a little comfortable as a couch pup and I am looking for a new pup in the next year or so. I've heard great things about the Small Munsterlander and am interested in them given what I have heard.

Here's the details:
I never really took advantage of Gunner's pointing ability as I've never had pointers and don't know how to train them properly. I only know how to train a nose, flushing and retrieving. He had a point, but I was the only one that knew it, possibly including him. This run around I have set aside the money to put my next into professional training to let them work to their ability.

Also, my wife will spoil our dog....FACT. He will get called onto the couch, onto the bed, etc. I was raised that this wrecks a dogs hunting desire and given what I have seen with Gunner it's hard to disagree. The point is he will be a family dog first and a hunting dog second, but I still want a great birddog. That being said, both me and the wife run, hike and spend a lot of time in the woods so a high energy dog is what we want and like. And I am willing to put in the field work to make him good (even bought the wifey a 20 gauge and hoping she likes bird hunting).

So... Is a SM/KM the right dog for me? Give me your thoughts and i would also appreciate any recomendations for breeders that are within an 8 hour drive of northern IL (or farther, whatever). thanks

take a look at the lets see you dogs thread mstand has great pics if outstanding hunting dogs that sit in a couch it does not seem to bother them just got to hunt them there hunt drive outweighs there house dog traits by far but a dog is what u make them...

my sm is spoiled rotten by my dad and out hunts most any other dog ive hunted with they work close if u want for late season or range out for prairie grouse or ealy season pheasants... there great water and slough dogs pretty much all i hunt pheasants in is thick cattails willow sloughs horseweeds etc. and the grasses & crops that border then areas she performs great like ur pointing lab would just a smaller dog...

again they are good family dogs and are not a kennel dog so a sm can be spoiled but you better hunt them... they are very lab like in personality also or i can say the have personality unlike some breeds ive been around but that could of been from training???

look around u wont find much bad things about sms ur on the write track my friend... dont be intimadated by some u may speak with just look for goog quality hunting parents is all i can say... good luck...

also i think my dog has a pic on page 95 of the lets see ur dog pics thread that was her first sd public land hunt 4 days limits every day mid season no ditch hunting

I do not think a dog that lives in the house will have his prey drive wrecked...his prey drive is something that is reinforced everytime he is in an environment where there is game. Although my dogs spend time in the house, they only need to hear the gun cabinet keys jingle and they are at the door waiting to get on the ute!

My Brittany lives in the house, sleeps on the couch and in our bed at night. If anyone has ever seen her hunting in the field or at a NSTRA field trial they would say she has more prey drive than most. So the old school thinking that if a dog is raised in the house and coddled it will wreck their prey drive just isn't so. Either a dog has it or they don't.

SM/Km is a great little hunting dog. We own 3 of them and currently have 2 pups that are waiting on their owners to pick up in August. I dont believe we will own another breed.

That being said, they are not for everyone. They are a very independent thinking dog and will be quick to give you the middle paw. You will hear a lot of breeds try to sell you the old "On/off switch" sales pitch. Dont fall for that. You need to work these dogs. You get out of them what you put into them.

They are strong in the water and on upland. They are great tracking dogs and will give you 100% all day everyday.

I am a breeder in Iowa, but wont have another litter until I get my bitch through her VGP( German Utility Test) in 2015. But I am willing to give you the name of some breeders that I trust will sell you a good dog.

I would safely say early duck season on into light ice breaking time. They do not have a under coat, so care has to be taken.
Max was in a heated boat with us and broke ice to retrieve ducks. He was shaking and I knew he was cold. But his drive wouldnt allow him to use his head. He did not want to come in off the bow of the boat where he could see all the action. I had to force him into the boat to warm up.
So, you just have to take care of your dog and know when it is time for him to be done.

If you are in a heated boat or blind, I dont see what the limits would be so long as you monitor the situation.

Not the best pics
2012-11-2395083234.jpg

2012-11-2395082310.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

only one duck that day
IMAG0038.jpg

they will break ice like a lab just not as heavy as a lab weight wise... they have a water repelent double coat they can handle the cold weather and cold water thats not a issue with the breed...

yes mstand sums up what i was trying to say got to use commin sense and keep em warm my sm u can dunk under water and shes not even wet to the skin 2 or 3 shaked and shed dry again... these dogs will do most everything u ask of them...

Prey drive in a dog, no matter what kind is bred into the dog. You can't train them to have drive. You can control the drive with training, but sleeping in a kennel, or on a bed, or anywhere else for that matter has nothing to do with the in bred capabilities of a hunting dog. Look at your breeders closely and take your time. You will be amazed at what you find the more you dig and the more you ask questions. Don't buy from the first guy. You may go back to him, but check around and don't get stuck with one breed, open your mind to other possibilities. Start with what you want the dog to do, then go and find a breed that is similar in abilities.

goldenboy is 100% correct check around do ur research on the breed and pups parents b4 u decide... i did just that and could not bring myself to buy any other breed then the small munstetlander does so many things so very well hard to beat..

if u research the breed and what it was breed to do u will fall in love with them. never mind the versitile breeds blood tracking and fur tracking ability if u train ur dog to hunt upland game birds and have control of ur dog its not a issue dont shoot or train ur dog to chase or hunt fur and ur good... but that tracking ability is there so hone it on birds and ur fine... if u dont get excited about fur they wont either...

Take the time and read up on this breed Deutscher Wachtelhund I have one and very impressed

Last edited:
oh yes german hunting spaniels would be my choice if i wanted a flusher for sure... im get n lazy so pointers apealed to me more i did look into them for sure... id reconend them if flushers are ur thing...

Back