Skunk's & Raccoon's ?

jeffslabs

Recently returned from our annual hunt. Like most of you had to hunt harder, longer, but all, and all a great time. We hunt private land just northeast of Mitchell. Very happy to see as many hen's as we did. Must of had one flush of 2 dozen. (Hopefully great sign for next year.) Thought number's were down, but still plenty of rooster's to shoot at. I have hunted this farm for the past 19 year's, and must say I have never seen so many skunk's, and raccoon's. Plus I-90, and the side road's were littered with road kill. My farmer's son told me he can across numerous nest's this early summer that had been raided. Just wondering anyone else notice the same thing?

Hard not to notice, have been skunked 4 timesthis season +2 encounters where I got the dog out.
I hunt ne of Mitchell also and have not been skunked there, but they are all over the entire state.
Glad you are seeing those hens. Have not seen that many myself.

A couple weeks ago my 6 month old pup pointed a skunk. As I was walking in I see the grass moving. Figuring it's a bird, I walked in and nudged it with the right toe of my boot. Tomy surprise up pops a black, fur covered head, followed by the rest of the body, white stripe and all. I was backing up fast while calling the dog. He came to me, we continued backing up as the skunk went the other way. It never raised it's tail, never sprayed and didn't stink one bit. I wanted to kill it in the worsst way, but we were straight downwind in a steady breeze and I wanted to be not stink worse than I wanted to kill that varmit. I figure the skunk never got that alarmed because I didn't toe him all that hard and the dog never lunged in on it. I also thing we were pretty lucky.

I was not as fortunate. My lab got sprayed on the last day of a three day hunt around Pierre. That was awesome. Got him right in the face. We had an 9 hr drive in an Explorer. Thank god for the dog wash at mitchell.

Spent 9 days near De Smet, hunting was tough but still good. 4 of 6 dogs were skunked 2 actually got hit twice. I have never seen so many skunks!

Skunks

Thanks for the heads up on the skunks this year. I will definietly bring the ingredients on the trip to remove the skunk smell from the dog.

Always carry 1 qt of hydroxide, 1 cup baking soda, teaspoon of dish soap. Mix immediately before use. Rub in well. It breaks down the skunk oil and gets rid of 90% of the stink in minutes. I recommend rubber gloves, follow up with regular dog shampoo bath. I have had to use this recipe 3x. Once on a very hairy Chow/Shepard mix.

WOW I've hunted the Platte SD area(70 miles sw of Mitchell) for 11 days this year and have yet to see or smell a Skunk.

Lucky me :D

Just got back from a 4 day hunt in the gettysburg area 3 dogs 4 skunks 2 dogs got sprayed twice. Been hunting there for years and have never seen a skunk when hunting there

Recieved a call last night from a friend who just returned from hunting near corsica. Mr pepe la pew hit 2 of their 3 dog's. They used carpfisher's recipe with dawn dishsoap, and said it worked well, other than the first few minute's getting near the dog's. (eye's watering, gaging, etc...) Been hunting there over 10 yr's, and only the second encounter the've had with skunk's.

An excellent endorsement for the skunk off recipe!!
We hunted 6 days and all we saw were dead one. Lucky I guess.

We've been skunked the last 2 years! My buddies dog got it right in the face this year. That skunk got shot! We didn't run into raccoons this year, but we normally do every year.

My dog got skunked when I was in Mitchell a few weeks ago. I almost got kicked out of the hotel I was staying because the dog smelled so bad. Actually, I would have been kicked out if I hadn't got the mutt cleaned up right away.

Sportsman's Car Wash in Mitchell, in addition to having bays for washing cars, etc., has a room to the side for washing pets. The pet washing room has a stainless steel table/tray with a sprayer nozzle. You run your dog up a ramp and onto the tray/table to wash him. There is a chain and eyebolt to hook your dog's collar to so he can't get away once on the table/tray. The spray nozzle is just like in a do-it-yourself car wash where you select what you want to come out of the nozzle, except the options are "shampoo," "conditioner," etc. The great thing is that one of the settings is de-skunk! I can tell you first hand that the "de-skunk" setting works really well. That de-skunk setting was well worth the $10 in quarters I fed into the pet washer to get my knucklehead of a dog clean.

--shinbone

Last edited:
My dog got skunked when I was in Mitchell a few weeks ago. I almost got kicked out of the hotel I was staying because the dog smelled so bad. Actually, I would have been kicked out if I hadn't got the mutt cleaned up right away.

Sportsman's Car Wash in Mitchell, in addition to having bays for washing cars, etc., has a room to the side for washing pets. The pet washing room has a stainless steel table/tray with a sprayer nozzle. You run your dog up a ramp and onto the tray/table to wash him. There is a chain and eyebolt to hook your dog's collar to so he can't get away once on the table/tray. The spray nozzle is just like in a do-it-yourself car wash where you select what you want to come out of the nozzle, except the options are "shampoo," "conditioner," etc. The great thing is that one of the settings is de-skunk! I can tell you first hand that the "de-skunk" setting works really well. That de-skunk setting was well worth the $10 in quarters I fed into the pet washer to get my knucklehead of a dog clean.

--shinbone

You and Carp found what appears to be the snizel when it comes to getting your dog de-funked. Shoot all them nasty turds you see and help the birds out.

Back