Should I have been bidding?

md, Its kinda like this if your pheasant hunting and the biggest rooster comes up right in front of you do you take a shot or just stare? The same can be applied to land hunting. JUST PULL THE TRIGGER!

Will someone please say that I did the right thing by not buying it.

You did the right thing by not buying. :thumbsup:

I try not to lie but if somebody asks me to I'll consider it especially if its to make someone feel better. Usually I only do that for my girlfriend but I think this is a special situation. :)

There's always good land for sale and next time something good pops up, you won't hesitate.

I got pretty serious about shopping for land recently, but decided against it b/c my good farmer buddy suggested that I wait another year or 2. He believes land prices will continue to decline. I know he knows better than I do b/c I've never bought land and he's purchased nearly 4,000 acres in his lifetime. I'm taking his advice and holding off on buying right now. I'm just going to find a lease for now and wait to buy for a couple more years.

Sorry bro, ....but here comes another boot. Lincoln or Turner County land is probably worth that or a little more.
We do have to keep in mind that not all is farmable. I call that habitat! Not the greatest pheasant area in South Dakota, but there are numbers of birds where there is habitat in those counties.

I hate to say it but Niceshot brings up an interesting point. If I can get a %5 return due to rent/crp payment and land increases in value 4% on average is that not a OK investment?

How long you going to hold? Capital Gains tax breaks are disappearing. Takes some time to clear them (and they take a BIG bite out) if you are thinking investment.

you did the right thing if your wife is still happy. i almost bought land. hard to convince wife it was an investment. now i just book hunts some where special. cheaper that way. i can always sneak on coots or bennelliboys land. who knows maybe i should book with uguide.

you did the right thing if your wife is still happy. i almost bought land. hard to convince wife it was an investment. now i just book hunts some where special. cheaper that way. i can always sneak on coots or bennelliboys land. who knows maybe i should book with uguide.

BC is right. I think my first marriage ended with my first land purchase. Bought it for $11,000 and had to sell it 1 year later for $12,000 as part of divorce.

With wife gone I got more land now and found good woman who owns 160 acres herself:).

When I die she will be well taken care of by the land and its value.:thumbsup:

My wife wants a new house but houses around Mpls are really not worth squat. I am teaching her how to calculate debt to asset ratios and show me how the house purchase makes sense.

;)

Back