Shotshell Ammo Prices

If the war in Ukraine gets any hotter, we are likely to see even higher prices, if we can find ammo at all. For about 3 years during Vietnam, we could not even find 12g 1 1/4 any size shot. This was in both Sandusky & Toledo, Ohio. About 4 months after Nixon got sworn in as potus, voila - all of a sudden you could buy it at any local hardware store, Penneys, Sears, Montgomery Ward, Kmart, all had plenty of it. My local hardware store owner said none of what he got was made in 1969, & he got cases of it.
I have a coworker/friend who is a sniper in the guard. He seems to have a heads up on what the military is ordering for ammo. He has been buying all the rifle cartridge components he can for the last couple of months. He thinks prices right now will be as good as they get for awhile.

I "inherited" 9 boxes of 12 Ga 2-3/4 Winchester Super X steel shot. It's 1550, 1-1/16oz #4 shot. I mostly use lead and don't have much experience with steel so I'll ask, is this a decent load for pheasant when steel is required?

In part, it would depend on the distance and type of shot you were presented with. Within 30 yards and a 90 degree or angled crossing shot where the forward third of the bird is exposed, that load could work if you hit him in that forward area. on the other hand, a 40-50 yard shot going directly away, shooting opportunity being the rear end, I would NOT take that shot. To each his own though.

In part, it would depend on the distance and type of shot you were presented with. Within 30 yards and a 90 degree or angled crossing shot where the forward third of the bird is exposed, that load could work if you hit him in that forward area. on the other hand, a 40-50 yard shot going directly away, shooting opportunity being the rear end, I would NOT take that shot. To each his own though.
I agree, very well put.

I "inherited" 9 boxes of 12 Ga 2-3/4 Winchester Super X steel shot. It's 1550, 1-1/16oz #4 shot. I mostly use lead and don't have much experience with steel so I'll ask, is this a decent load for pheasant when steel is required?
Nope

Yes it is.

For several years now, I have used only nontoxic shot for all bird hunting.

I hunt most of the season with a 16 gauge SxS. I use 7/8 oz #4 in the right barrel and 7/8 oz #3 in the left barrel. This load chronographs at about 1500 fps. I have no trouble taking pheasants, in range, with this gun and ammunition.

Most of the birds that I bag are with the first shot.

I would not hesitate to use that ammunition for pheasants. I would pick up a box or two of #3 or #2 steel for second or third shots.

Back