Shotguns/Insurance

Lointer man

Finally, got back to my truck (hunting alone) with my two pups, set my 20 gauge benelli against the back passenger side tire to load pups and take a piss. Like an idiot (still very upset with myself) loaded pups and took off. I was so pissed off/still am, called the sheriff and did all the things u do when your gun is lost or stolen. There were other hunters in area, does anyone know can u turn that into ur insurance? Appreciate all the advice and I’ve gotten enough sarcasm.

Thanks,
The Lointer Man

That sucks. You did go back and look for it? Firearms usually have a coverage limit and then there is your deductible. Call your agent Monday and see what might be available with your policy. Insurance usually insures against covered perils, some things might be insured against loss, not by theft. Guessing someone here is an insurance agent, that will have a better idea.

Man oh man ! I did almost the same damn thing nearly 20 years a ago. Called the sheriff in that area the next day. He said they’d drive over . No luck ….. before Craig’s list . So ran an ad for a reward in the local news paper.. it was a 20 gauge benelli! Sorry and good luck ! Maybe someone here finds yours or found mine in Montana

That sucks. You did go back and look for it? Firearms usually have a coverage limit and then there is your deductible. Call your agent Monday and see what might be available with your policy. Insurance usually insures against covered perils, some things might be insured against loss, not by theft. Guessing someone here is an insurance agent, that will have a better idea.
Yes, I went to clean that evening for the following mornings hunt, hauled ass there and it was gone, thank you for the response

Man oh man ! I did almost the same damn thing nearly 20 years a ago. Called the sheriff in that area the next day. He said they’d drive over . No luck ….. before Craig’s list . So ran an ad for a reward in the local news paper.. it was a 20 gauge benelli! Sorry and good luck ! Maybe someone here finds yours or found mine in Montana
Exactly the gun I lost, called the sheriff and he was kind enough to go by the place cause he lived near by to spot light it

Can beat your stupidity! Finished hunting, and as usual laid gun on top of dog box, and then loaded the pups. A friend drove by at that moment, and we talked for awhile. Got into my truck and drove off. Don't ask me why but happened to look into side view mirror and there was my Browning Liege cartwheeling down the gravel road. That little deal cost me $1100. to repair. Probably more then it was worth, oh well a funny memory now.

Well mara5 in addition to losing the benelli above in this thread. I did the same thing with a citori too!!!!! Always put dogs away first back to the truck close to a busy road . Talked to a pf guy I knew. Heard something side off the top of my suv, and watch the citori roll on the gravel road in my rear view mirror! Based on these two posts I should take up shuffle board!!!!🤪

Did something similar with my bow once after wrangling a buck I had shot. Luckily it was still on the roof of the pick-up when my buddy thought about it being up there! I had my mind on that buck!

You know some people out there pick-up cans, maybe there is another group that cruises public hunting parking lots looking for shotguns! If I weren't so busy hunting myself, I might be that guy!

That’s to bad,I would be just sick! My homeowners policy doesn’t pay anything for guns, but if you are a NRA member I think they still have a small policy included with your membership.
I never lost a gun but I did lay my Astro 430 on the hood of my truck and drivevoff in the dark. Easy peasy $500 mistake. Now I open my truck and throw the keys on top of my dog box. Gloves, gun, Astro or whatever goes up there if I’m in a hurry to load the dogs, otherwise I put the gun in it’s case in the back seat. I can’t drive off without the keys so I see what I have laid up there.

Oh yes, your gun policy will cover it. As long as you had it specifically listed on the policy. It's so cheap...I can't imagine anyone would go without it.

Had a Ruger Red Label go through a flooded basement about 8 years ago. My insurance gave me $1895 for it.

Oh yes, your gun policy will cover it. As long as you had it specifically listed on the policy. It's so cheap...I can't imagine anyone would go without it.

Had a Ruger Red Label go through a flooded basement about 8 years ago. My insurance gave me $1895 for it.
What company are you using?

I left a gun on an approach to a public area back when I was about 20 years old. A tense 30 minute drive back and it was laying where I set it.

If I am at an field approach - dogs in first, guns second.

I have a "tile" and an 8-inch paracord lanyard on my Astro. I can trigger the tile sound with my phone and have done so too many times to count. Astro and collars - just another thing to worry about.

Oh - this fall I left my phone on top of my truck grouse hunting. I was parked, the signal was weak and I was chatting with someone ... had the phone on the roof of the truck ... distracted and then drove down the road ... it took a mild beating when it flew off ... but the case and screen protector served their purpose. Thankfully I was pretty remote and some vehicle did not come by and run over it before I found it.

Last edited:
Back