shotgun laws

Juliusvatalaro

In SD are you only allowed 3 shells in your shotgun? Someone told me you can have 5 in your gun while pheasant hunting. I have never heard of that before.

Julius

I'm not sure where, or even if, the Handbook addresses your question but as a SD resident I can tell you there is no restriction on the number of shells you can have in your gun while pheasant hunting. Like benelli-banger said, some guys even put extended magazines on their guns so they can hold more than 5 shells.

I have lived and hunted in SD for years and there is NO restriction on the number of shells. Here is another one thats hard for some to believe, you can carry a loaded gun in your car and road hunt small game in SD.:D

I have lived and hunted in SD for years and there is NO restriction on the number of shells. Here is another one thats hard for some to believe, you can carry a loaded gun in your car and road hunt small game in SD.:D

100% correct. That's right loaded, one in the chamber too. I had always thought it was magazine full, non in the chamber but a South Dakota C.O. told me other wise.

No plugs required in KS either,..."as long" as you re NOT hunting 'migratory' birds I believe..

100% correct. That's right loaded, one in the chamber too. I had always thought it was magazine full, non in the chamber but a South Dakota C.O. told me other wise.

that's crazy, i can't imagine driving around with a loaded shotgun in the car or truck, so dangerous, especially with a round in the chamber...not for me.

Nebraska requires no plug for upland hunting, only for waterfowl, which is a federal requirement. You cannot however have a loaded gun in your car, per the wildlife code. In Missouri you can not carry a loaded gun in your car while hunting, and you need a plug while hunting, but concealed carry permitees I presume are allowed to carry loaded guns in the car? or what's the point. In Missouri you can allow your passengers to enjoy a cold one while you drive down the road, Missouri has no state "open container" law, nor any state prohibition to public intoxication. A few minor municipalites have ordinances, and when passing through your passengers would need to put a cap on the bottle or refrain, neither of the two big cities have any restriction, KC, or St. Louis. Budwieser lobby powerful medicine!

Road Hunting

It's called road hunting, I use to do a lot of it but now as I have my own land to hunt just don't do it anymore.

I could tell you stories about it you would not believe.:eek: Think you want to hunt with people who are safe, you really need to trust those that you road hunt with.

that's crazy, i can't imagine driving around with a loaded shotgun in the car or truck, so dangerous, especially with a round in the chamber...not for me.

We thought the same thing...the first year we went to SD we got to the trucks, unloaded and cased out guns....In WI your gun must be cased. after the second time we asked eachother what are we doing.... We then unloaded but had them in the truck with us.

Most guys have over-unders so having a shell or two in their hand and loading as getting out works pretty easy. Myself, I have a pump and eject a shell and leave it open so there isn't one in the chamber, I all I have to do is pump it quick to get one loaded.

Still feels weird driving down the road though with the gun next to you! But that is SD!

Last century, maybe 1998, I went to a near-by town's Police Department silent auction for abandoned or surplus stuff. As a last minute addition, they had put in an Ithaca PS/DS 12 ga, 18 inch barrel, with 7 or 8 shot mag. Rifle sights.

A cruiser gun, slammed around in racks much more than ever used. I bid and won the auction...very inexpensively because no one had known guns would be in the auction.

Fast forward to deer season in WI. Still shotgun-only at that time. Loaded up the Ithaca with slugs, and trooped on out to surprise a deer. I walk for deer, can't sit still in a stand or blind.

That gun had magical properties and gained 3.77 lbs/100 yards of walking. I swear, if you'd put a fulcrum by the action, it would have lifted me up because it was so barrel heavy.:)

That got old quick, and really, who needs more than two shots to hit or miss a deer? Timing was off for bringing the gun up, and following a moving target.

Got a deer, but that was the last full mag that shotgun ever saw.

First pheasant hunt I went on here in Missouri, my hosts asked if I had a plug in my Beretta. I told them they were screwing with me, but they kept a straight face. I went to the hotel computer, looked it up, and sure enough, all hunting in Missouri requires a plugged shotgun.

Took some others to Kansas hunting, on my home turf. They thought I was screwing with them when I said to be sure and take their plugs out. They didn't believe me, and quick perusal of the reg book at Wal-Mart didn't show anything otherwise. They asked the kid behind the gun counter, he of course didn't know what he was talking about, was used to the duck hunters in the store, and said you had to have a plug. I eventually convinced them you didn't need one.

Would that include one in the chamber?

IN NoDak you can have a loaded gun in the vehicle with you, except the chamber must be empty.

The gun can be fully loaded in South Dakota. That includes one in the chamber

Yes in your car or truck too, just not in a large city like Sioux Falls.

Yes in your car or truck too, just not in a large city like Sioux Falls.

It is legal and it might be in your car but not in mine. The state law not withstanding, I allow for common sense, apparently absent in the S.D. legislature. Same reason I don't allow open alchoholic containers, legal in Missouri, in my car. It leads poor decisions, that effect everyone in the car or potentially even out of the car. I don't really see the need for or thrill of road hunting anyway. But that subject has been worn out here. I bet S.D. has a seatbelt law, what a joke, you have to wear a seat belt but you can carry a loaded gun in your lap, with your safety off and finger on the trigger! Which do you suppose is more dangerous, and to whom?

Back