Sharptail opener

Thinking about heading to se corner for the Sharptail opener. Probably going to stick close to rivers to hunt. Is this a good strategy that early?

What rivers are you thinking? Powder, Yellowstone?
No that's not a bad plan. Don't pass on coulees and intermittent stream flowing into the rivers. Stock ponds with brushy cover. Likely to be hot in MT early Sept. Sharptails will spend the days in the shade and move about early and late. Birds will be feeding on grasshoppers and greens in the moist areas.

Little missouri and the powder. I would be coming in on 212 so those would be the closest. I know of one honey hole on the powder from deer hunting out there. The area north of Alzada looks like it would be good.

Little missouri and the powder. I would be coming in on 212 so those would be the closest. I know of one honey hole on the powder from deer hunting out there. The area north of Alzada looks like it would be good.

Don't skip the Custer Forest, I turkey hunted some of that area and there were lots of sharp tails on the leks. I don't hunt that area or sharp-tails, if I did I wouldn't pass on info like this. Good luck.

That is good grouse country. Powder River is great bird country. Just about all private and leased by outfitters. If you have access to the Powder River Bottoms I would make that my #1 choice for SE MT. The Custer NF SW and West of Broadus is good Sharptail hunting to, with lots of public ground.
Haven't hunted the Little Missouri but that should be good to.
Your going to have a great time, hope it doesn't get HOT!

Yeah there has been some big burns down there. To bad some fine country.

Yeah the heat has me kind of nervous. I was out there deer hunting 2 years ago and there was grouse all over and turkeys only saw a rooster or two. Might have to check out Custer as I only have about a mornings worth of hunting on the powder. Thanks for the info. Any other advice is welcome.,

I had a good friend [Army Buddy] that owned a ranch on the Powder River South of Broadus had about 5 miles of River and seemed like endless upland country. Buttes, Sage Brush and Ponderosa Pines. The guy passed on and his Wife sold out. You could go on a hike and get Sage Grouse, Huns, Pheasants and Sharptail. Hundreds of Sharptail and they were everywhere. :)

Yep, Sharpies are fun. And good eating in my humble op.

:) Very hard to beat young Sharpies for camp meat.:thumbsup:
Old ones go home to the slow cooker and are kicked up a notch with some good season.:cheers:

Last edited:
:) Very hard to beat young Sharpies for camp meat.:thumbsup:
Old ones go home to the slow cooker and are kicked up a notch with some good season.:cheers:

How the heck do you guys cook them? I sautéed one last year and it tasted like butt. I gave it to the dogs.

cubed, marinated in asian dressing and cooked in a hot wok briefly with a mix of fresh veggies and served over rice...succulent! shrooms, onions, peppers, broccoli, water chestnuts, garlic, carrots, celery...superb! Or, tenderized, marinated in italian dressing, and wrapped with a pepperoni slice and a piece of red pepper, and then bacon wrapped and grilled...kind of a popper. Awesome!

cubed, marinated in asian dressing and cooked in a hot wok briefly with a mix of fresh veggies and served over rice...succulent! shrooms, onions, peppers, broccoli, water chestnuts, garlic, carrots, celery...superb! Or, tenderized, marinated in italian dressing, and wrapped with a pepperoni slice and a piece of red pepper, and then bacon wrapped and grilled...kind of a popper. Awesome!

AWESOME! is right:thumbsup: I fix up those that come home something like you do. Ain't no excuse for not liking Sharpies. :confused:

Those young ones for camp meat, I fillet off the breast and leg meat, dust in flour seared both sides in hot oil with a few pieces of bacon. :) Cook up some taters, onions, stuff. Tell you what! I'm a happy camper.:cheers:

For sure, those young Sage Grouse aren't eating the sage yet in Sept-Oct eat same as the Sharpies.

About 55 dazz. :)

Last edited:
I truly love sharptails...if I know it is an older bird I may tend to go the popper route, but I have never had a meal done in the wok with peanut oil and the veggies served over rice that didn't leave me thinking I could never eat a pheasant again and not miss it!

CRP Haying/Grazing

The USDA is allowing haying on CRP fields in numerous Montana counties. Hope those young birds get the heck out of the way of the swathers, rakes, and bailers. The drought in parts of MT are becoming crtical and we have alot of summer left. YIKES!!!

The USDA is allowing haying on CRP fields in numerous Montana counties. Hope those young birds get the heck out of the way of the swathers, rakes, and bailers. The drought in parts of MT are becoming crtical and we have alot of summer left. YIKES!!!
Could be worse, 91 of the 105 counties in Kansas were opened to haying and grazing. Relying on my week in MT for my upland success, 2 years in a row, this drought needs to leave.

I think we are blessed here in Montana with ranchers and farmers who are true stewarts of the land in their hands. A good friend who ranches north of Hinsdale told be he was out swathing and was seeing lots of chicks run out a head of the swather, he noticed a Hawk circling, waiting for the chicks to be clear of cover, so he decided to leave a few acres of standing grass for them rather then see the hawk pray on them. Kind of cool too know we have folks like that up in our area!

That is awesome, would like to see more farmers like that in my neck of the woods, maybe the prairie chicken wouldn't be disappearing

Back