Sharpies

Scoutnsodak

does anyone know of any areas East river that has decent sharpie hunting. I’d like to get my dog on birds before the resident pheasant opener. Not asking for honey holes just an idea of where to look and what type of terrain they like.

No, but I’d think being within 30 miles of the Missouri would help things…big, open chunks of grass, including hills, is good…grass taller than mid-shins is too tall. Pastures can be good…look at blue land on the atlas, school land…much is pasture. Within pastures, berry patches are good…buffalo, silver, etc…standing bushes can be terrific…terrific…they hide out there and stay cool on warm, sunny days.

No, but I’d think being within 30 miles of the Missouri would help things…big, open chunks of grass, including hills, is good…grass taller than mid-shins is too tall. Pastures can be good…look at blue land on the atlas, school land…much is pasture. Within pastures, berry patches are good…buffalo, silver, etc…standing bushes can be terrific…terrific…they hide out there and stay cool on warm, sunny days.
Thanks !

Coteau des Prairie would be the area I would think about checking out if that is closer.

East side of the Missouri River Pierre to Gettysburg to ND border.

Be ready for longer shots now that it is October.

does anyone know of any areas East river that has decent sharpie hunting. I’d like to get my dog on birds before the resident pheasant opener. Not asking for honey holes just an idea of where to look and what type of terrain they like.
Where are you located and when you say east river could you narrow it down a little. The area around Summit, SD has some sharpies but not in great supply. A couple of years ago I ran into several but last year and so far this year I haven't seen much. I hunted a section of WIA in that area a week ago and only saw one bird that flushed way out ahead of my dog.

Back