Self stocking a few birds

twoodward15

Hi all. I live in New Jersey. We don't have a natural pheasant population. I hunt on WMA's. This year, my 10 year old daughter will be hunting with me for the first time. Later in the season the stocking days get thin. I don't want her to lose interest because there are no birds left. There are many small fields that we would have to ourselves. My thought is that when the birds run out I would have a cage and just buy a few birds, take them to one of the small fields and let them go, then go back to the truck and get her so she can hunt them. It'd be cheaper than hunting a preserve and it might help keep her interested in the sport. Any thoughts?

Self-Stocking thoughts

Have you checked the state's regulations? I only ask this because some states require you to have a breeder's permit to transport birds. Other states have further requirements. As long as your legal and your having fun go for it.

Like others have said, you have to check with NJ. I know it can be done in Pa (except for month of October) on State Game Lands. Just have to follow the bag rules. Good luck!

The wording states that I can't transport semi wild birds and that they can't be sold here either. I guess if I can buy them at a local place then they must be legal to use? I'll do more research. It would be nice to be able to go buy a few birds to put out for her when things slow down. Do I need a special cage or will a dog cage or large crate work?

If you get some birds you would want to place them in something so they can't jump up and break their necks or get hurt. When I bought birds before they were always in a cardboard box for game birds. Just ask the seller how they would package the birds.

NJ does a pretty decent job of stocking and offers some quality hunts if you hunt on the non-stocking days, otherwise it can get pretty crowed. You can self stock your own birds, just carry the receipt from purchase with you.Remember you can NOT hunt quail except on Greenwood and Peaslee, you can release them for dog training. So for hunting it's pheasants or chukars. If you hunt on stocked WMA's you will need a pheasant stamp and once you release them, they become the property of the state and any one can legally take them.
If I were you I would find some non-stocked state property, there are loads of good looking pheasant habitat areas, that get overlooked by small game hunters because they are not stocked. I would release the birds at the end of legal shooting hours the day before, the birds will travel very little at night and offer a good hunt the following morning! Hope this helps.

Last edited:
NJ does a pretty decent job of stocking and offers some quality hunts if you hunt on the non-stocking days, otherwise it can get pretty crowed. You can self stock your own birds, just carry the receipt from purchase with you.Remember you can NOT hunt quail except on Greenwood and Peaslee, you can release them for dog training. So for hunting it's pheasants or chukars. If you hunt on stocked WMA's you will need a pheasant stamp and once you release them, they become the property of the state and any one can legally take them.
If I were you I would find some non-stocked state property, there are loads of good looking pheasant habitat areas, that get overlooked by small game hunters because they are not stocked. I would release the birds at the end of legal shooting hours the day before, the birds will travel very little at night and offer a good hunt the following morning! Hope this helps.

Great advice! Most states shooting hours for pheasant start at 8am so I would say release them at least an hour before or risk the dogs catching a few if you hunt with flushing dogs.

No dogs yet. Hopefully we'll have one soon though.

There is certainly nothing wrong with hunting without a dog. However I must say there is no finer way to introduce a youngster to the sport than behind a good bird dog. I think it might be time for you and your daughter to get acquainted with a Field Bred English Springer Spaniel puppy! If you do...you'll never hunt without one again!

Last edited:
Or you might try hunting with a field bred Toller (such dogs do exist -- I have one). Not as efficient or stylish a hunting machine as that Springer, but a Toller is sure to steal your daughter's heart, and it will flush its share of pheasants. And provide lots of laughs, too.

Back