Section lines and ditches

DonCog

Hate to even ask this but have not hunted ND for a few years. So just checking on current regs. on hunting ditches and section lines for what's legal. I know it was quit a controversy a few yrs back.

Most ND section lines and ditches are closed to hunting if the adjacent land is posted. The exception is ditches adjacent to Federal and State roads (possibly a county road or two) where the public entity owns the land from road to the fence/field line.

In most cases the ND landowner owns the land to the middle of the gravel road, pays taxes on that land, and thus has control over it. Traveling two track section lines is typically legal in ND. Just cannot hunt them.

This is far different from SD and possibly Iowa. I believe even MN has more liberal ditch-hunting rules, but finding a ditch in MN that has not been mowed shorter than a golf green is often difficult.

I suspect road hunters (resident and nonresident) have been known to jump out ... pop a bird ... grab ... and go.

Most ND section lines and ditches are closed to hunting if the adjacent land is posted. The exception is ditches adjacent to Federal and State roads (possibly a county road or two) where the public entity owns the land from road to the fence/field line.

In most cases the ND landowner owns the land to the middle of the gravel road, pays taxes on that land, and thus has control over it. Traveling two track section lines is typically legal in ND. Just cannot hunt them.

This is far different from SD and possibly Iowa. I believe even MN has more liberal ditch-hunting rules, but finding a ditch in MN that has not been mowed shorter than a golf green is often difficult.

I suspect road hunters (resident and nonresident) have been known to jump out ... pop a bird ... grab ... and go.
Thanks BM that's what I was looking for....

Back