Season Finale

IA at heart

Well, it sounds like some of you had a good final hunt of the year. Not so much for me this year. The last few years, I have been making it a point to hunt the last few days of the season down in Southern Iowa. Last year, it turned out to be a great few days and I saw a lot of birds by southern Iowa standards.

This year, hearing the ice forecasts for Friday, I decided to get out for a bit Thursday. This is the first time this year I have hunted south of Rt. 34. I ended up hitting two public spots and one private piece on Thursday and not only did I not see a bird, hen or rooster, I did not see a single bird track in any of the three spots, not one. I was very surprised as these were spots that I saw good bird numbers last year and they do not get hunted hard at all.

I enjoyed getting out to some of these out of the way spots and always enjoy being out there but I was very disappointed in not seeing a single bird track.

I ran into a landowner I know on the way out of town Saturday and he did tell me that he believed the birds all bunched up in some big block CRP near there when the weather got so cold a week or so ago. I hope that is the case and there are still some birds down that way. I guess I will have to wait till next year to find out.

At any rate, thanks all for the great stories, tips and pictures this season. I really, really enjoy reading about your hunts and seeing your pics. Nate, thanks again for the ice hunt we had in November. I hope you all have a great New Year!

Sounds pretty disappointing. I hope that the landowner is correct and the birds were just hiding and staying warm.
I heard stories that last week that in Tama county people were piking birds off from the road. Easy pickings.:( :mad:
This kinda of stuff, though legal, irritates me to no end.
Walking road ditches with a dog, I guess is ok. I did it with a buddy this year but got no enjoyment from it. But to drive down a road and jump out and shoot just seems............different. Especially when we are trying to build a good population.
I could be wrong though.

I enjoyed your comment Ia at heart and maybe we can meet up for hunt sometime.:cheers:

Very plausible they were bunched up as the local shared.

Sure thing on the hunt. I enjoyed the company and conversation. Until next season ...

I am very glade that you fellows i Ia have had some luck hunting pheasants this year. I grow tired of all the dum and gloom. I Have always heard that Ia was the cats Meow. When I was a boy no one talked a bout SD. It was always about IA.:thumbsup::cheers:

I Have always heard that Ia was the cats Meow.

I do not hear any purring yet as far as Iowa goes. I believe most on this forum would agree that birds are very spotty and you have to work hard and be fortunate to encounter them. We have had a better year. We just need more of them now!

I hope everyone has the chance to prosper until next season. For me it is like the playing of a short film. I know there is an end, it forces me to reflect and focus on the present more than ever.

I am currently focused on the weather, a strong farm bill with habitat incentives, and a renewed focus on our environment. It will take all to see a movement towards the birds and hunting that Iowa used to have!

Ken

Back