SD sources of Info

tomt

I believe in the positive use of this forum for helping others get into or improve their experiences, "spreading the joy" so to speak. So, although I am asking specifically about SD, feel free to pipe up about any upland state.
For those of you who travel to hunt (which is probably almost all of us here), I'm wondering how helpful people have found calling up SD Conservation Officers in various regions to get a general idea about bird numbers, status of harvest, road conditions etc etc etc. I know that having a relative or friend on the ground can be very helpful, but when expanding ones horizons, we often dont have that luxury. I've contacted regional bird biologists in Montana in the past with good results but havent yet found their equivalent on SD website. I have the list of names and numbers of the officers, just wondering if some are exceptionally helpful and what people use for other sources of reliable/efficient sources of information when they are traveling to get their hits for this addiction that we all share...

Thanks

With a little friendly conversation they often will give you general information that can be quite helpful, such as "...area was hit hard by hail this summer". They aren't going to tell you where to hunt, other than in generalities, but they can and often will provide information that will help narrow your hunting area search down.

I put on 2000 miles on my trip last week. 800 of those miles were driving back roads etc. Boots on the ground and looking around...
Ive not called a CO or biologist for Upland but have for big game in SD. He was pretty helpful to an extent.

I've have ran into them while hunting, they have given me info like where they seen most broods in summer or where they seen least hunting pressure in wpa's in their district.

My single best tool is the data collected by U of Nebraska at Lincoln….”current climate summary maps”…play with this, look back at archived months like May or June…a veritable treasure.

My single best tool is the data collected by U of Nebraska at Lincoln….”current climate summary maps”…play with this, look back at archived months like May or June…a veritable treasure.
Thanks B-B. Last week I looked at the drought maps for June and July. The area I usually hunt looks ok now, but was in extreme in July which got me looking at other areas. May or June is insect season for chicks I believe correct? I'm thinking that high levels of drought in those months would equal low reproduction rates (not only due to low insects), even if those areas are looking better now. This is your thinking with this, correct?

Back