SD - ROW - Unimproved Roads

Does anyone have an answer for this one? Just returned from SD and noticed an unusual number of unimproved roads that had closed signs posted but were unimproved roads on the plat books. I thought that SD law provided hunting access to ROW provided they were clearly used for vehicular travel and showed signs of improvement. I thought the closed signs needed to be marked vacated. If they were marked vacated they were abandoned by county and now farmers owned.
Is this accurate ?

Thanks,

Cant officially answer your question, but my understanding is that if there is an un navigable road or section line, the adjoining property owners and petition the county for permission to "close" the road.

One other "intricasy" I have found when looking in the plat books is that alot of the "take ponds"( land/dirt used to build the interstate system and then developed into a pond) that are along the interstate are shown as owned by the USA, but you wont find them on any type of hunting map. Not sure what their official status is.

The SD game and parks people told me that sometimes a landowner will post up a "dead road" if it is dead and there land is adjacent to it, and that is OK that they do, and we must stay off. He also said the best ones are ones people dont even notice, but from the sounds of this you guys know where to hunt. I must say though it does feel odd walking a dead road between two pieces of private. I found a bunch and never was harassed by anyone. If you look at the SD website and poke around some they have the stats on who hunts what and where, the number 1 place to hunt was private, the number 2 place was road ways.

If the "closed" sign is a state sign I would think it is still OK for hunt, but this is a subject a SD resident or official could answer. When I am in doubt I skip it and move to the next area. And I did pass over a few good looking roadways this year because of signs.

I believe farmers fence these roads off so that their cattle have more grazing cover. If it is on a section line and is a well worn vehicle path, you can legally ditch hunt these. However, best to leave them alone and move on. It is not going to be worth the hassle.

We are due to arrive in Gettysburg midday Sunday. How bad is the snow going to be? How long does it take the county to clear all the backroads?

The national weather service says 2-4 maybe 5 inches ---but its going to be windy with widespread blowing and drifting snow. The good part is its going to be a one day deal. Roads could be iffy on Sat. I would keep checking the NWS web site for updates. I'm headed to the farm in Platte on thursday and really look forward to hunting that first snow of the season.:thumbsup:

What can we expect the birds to do with this 1st snow? We also have our duck stamp. Are they still there? are the ponds and potholes all frozen over?

What can we expect the birds to do with this 1st snow? We also have our duck stamp. Are they still there? are the ponds and potholes all frozen over?

To expand on these great questions, I'm sure the cattail sloughs are froze over w/ the temps I've been seeing. Will they be ok to walk on come Sunday w/ the over-night low being in the single digits?

To expand on these great questions, I'm sure the cattail sloughs are froze over w/ the temps I've been seeing. Will they be ok to walk on come Sunday w/ the over-night low being in the single digits?

From experience, be carefull in the cattails. They do hold some warmth and take awile to freeze solid. Even then close to the reeds themselves the ice can be suspect. 3 years ago I fell through in muck up to mid thigh. -30 windchill back to truck and coat froze at a right angle to my body. Be safe and have fun. I am not getting back untill second week of december

From experience, be carefull in the cattails. They do hold some warmth and take awile to freeze solid. Even then close to the reeds themselves the ice can be suspect. 3 years ago I fell through in muck up to mid thigh. -30 windchill back to truck and coat froze at a right angle to my body. Be safe and have fun. I am not getting back untill second week of december

Sounds like I'd be better off keeping to the edge of the cattails. There's no stopping the dogs:rolleyes:

Nothing around here in central Minnesota is froze over. We have been getting a little skim of ice some nights & then it opens up during the day. I wouldn't count on any walkable ice.

Nothing in central SD is froze up. I would doubt that they will even get out the snow plows for anything but paved roads, being a one day event..

We are due to arrive in Gettysburg midday Sunday. How bad is the snow going to be? How long does it take the county to clear all the backroads?

You will be fine on the gravel and paved roads. The minimum maintainence roads around Gettysburg are another matter. There are really deep ruts and potholes. When the snow is drifting it is easy to get hung up even with a 4 wd vehicle. Don't assume you can follow someone else's track down an unimproved road. If it is drifting I'd stick to the WPA's south of town where there is a place to park. You could still ditch hunt and park off the gravel roads and walk the unimproved roads and section lines, but I'd be very cautious about trying to drive them.

one hen only in the wpa's south of Gettysburg last week. Stick to the ROW ditches next to high chopped corn for some very flighty, hunter wise birds. Hopefully the wind will die down a bit; 30 mpr put the brittney in a dander, my springer was able to flush out a few roosters as well as finding, flushing and charging that solitary hen!

I assume you meant you have a SD waterfowl license that was obtained by the lotto drawing? Just having the duck stamp doesnt help.

Back